Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
What he said but it appears to have been been modified with an adjustable main jet.

·
Registered
734 Posts
What do you need to know? It's a Kehin butterfly carb with an accelerator pump and adjustable main jet. Standard Kehin pilots fit and the main is probably a 180. The two cable set up says 1978 and later.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I am about to rebuilt it so I just was trying to find any relevant info on it. I am new to american bikes. I am a younger guy looking for a little guidance, I suppose.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A japanese bike. I bought it from this old guy for $160. Thats why I didn't post the bike just the carb because the carb is american. Its a 1981 Yamaha Virago 750 but I just wanted to focus on the carb itself.

·
4,048 Posts
I'd love to see that fucking manifold. The dual carb setup on those is an abortion, a single monster like that must have dictated one hell of an interesting set of runners on 'er.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd love to see that fucking manifold. The dual carb setup on those is an abortion, a single monster like that must have dictated one hell of an interesting set of runners on 'er.
You are fucking right about that. I had one before this one and I HATED the carbs and thats why I bought this one, in particular. It had the 2 into 1 and I had to pick it up and for $160 for a bike that needs carb adjustment. Are you kidding.

But I found out that I need to shim the starter but I want to stay focused on the carb so this thread doesn't get deleted due to the fact that the bike isn't under that guidelines of this board.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
I did a manifold conversion on one, used Gold wing intakes from a 1000cc and welded custom flanges, used better carbs, ran great.

At willo springs race way there is a 920 European bored out to 1100cc's with the same mod and man is it fast!!!!!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I have that same carb on my shovel....I needs to be cleaned and "repaired"...has a dead spot just off idle causing my motor to miss...now it leaks (float) like a bitch....
figure the accelerator pump needs replacing... can anyone suggest a GOOD rebuild kit or parts house for this carb?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I have that same carb on my shovel....I needs to be cleaned and "repaired"...has a dead spot just off idle causing my motor to miss...now it leaks (float) like a bitch....
figure the accelerator pump needs replacing... can anyone suggest a GOOD rebuild kit or parts house for this carb?
Just about the only part I've found that is really questionable in kits is the accelerator pump. You can get good ones from "the factory" or S&S.
Larry T

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
...when I went to a local (H-D) shop...he got the "illustrated parts breakdown" IPB from I guess the H-D parts book...mine is on my shovel...87 bottom end with 77 top...If I get a chance I will stop by and see if he can copy a pic of it...or at least let me use my phone and shoot it..
BTW ...the accelerator pump diaphragm had a small tear in it....will post results after remounting the carb....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
...when I went to a local (H-D) shop...he got the "illustrated parts breakdown" IPB from I guess the H-D parts book...mine is on my shovel...87 bottom end with 77 top...If I get a chance I will stop by and see if he can copy a pic of it...or at least let me use my phone and shoot it..
BTW ...the accelerator pump diaphragm had a small tear in it....will post results after remounting the carb....
Thanks Bro!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Those of you who have this carb do yourself a favor and get a CV. I had that carb on my '75 FLH and never could get thet dead spot out. I finally contacted a guy who rebuilds CVs and had him do one for me. He's been doing it a long time and adds his own special tweeks to them. I can't begin to tell you how much different my bike is... night and day. It starts on the first bump, goes straight to an idle. Accelerates smoothly, runs awesome and my MPGs improved. The best money I've spent on my bike. Normally I'm all about doing things myself but that HD/Screaming Eagle/Anderson/Kehnin carb fought me to a draw. Even if I'd managed to get the dead spot out it never would have performed like this CV does.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts