Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They sell it:

Lee Hartung was a collector. He was a real character. He had a million stories. If you've ever met him - you have a story or 2 of your own too. He didn't sell you anything, but he would trade you. He knew where he got everything and the story behind it. If you ever had the opportunity to hit the Chicago burbs and visit his "museum", you were in for a treat. He was tucked away off the highway on a long gravel road with acres of stuff inviting you in. He had an overwhelming amount of cool stuff. For a couple bucks he would take you on a tour. No pictures.
I remember being a teenager and meeting him for the first time. He showed me a gigantic bra with 3 huge cups, hanging from the ceiling. He said, "Out of all the things I've collected - I've been looking for the owner of that all my life". He also had a real human body in a casket with a glass top (a young girl). And I remember him yelling at me because I was drooling over these bakelite and hand blown glass vintage shift knobs. I mentioned out loud that those were the coolest shifter knobs I had ever seen. He shouted, "What the hell! You're too young to know what those are. Hell, even all the adults that come in here think that are just big marbles".
My brother in law went there when he was like 10. He saw this mini bike frame and had to have it. Lee didn't sell anything. Lee told him that he would trade the frame for his watch. The trade happened. Years later my brother in law went back to visit the place and the first thing Lee asked was, "Did you ever build that mini bike?". My brother in law said he didn't know where the frame went. Lee went over to a drawer and pulled out the old watch. He remembered.
A real cool dude. Sadly, he passed away this year. I don't know anything about his personal life or who owns his stuff now (I've heard a few rumors), but now it's all up for auction. The pictures/video doesn't do the place justice. You had to be there to experience it. But he never allowed photographs, so there isn't much else. I heard there was a couple of people that tried to buy the whole lot, but the family wants every cent they can get - so they are splitting it up. Sucks to see all those cars on the grass and that place getting emptied. RIP Lee.

If you view this on youtube, you can see some videos with Hartung in the title. Shows you a little more.

(posted on Chop Cult too, I like both sites and wanted to share for the people that don't frequent the CC)

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
This is one of life's problems. You collect a lot of "stuff" that you will never get to and never sell and it slowly becomes "junk". All "stuff" is generational. What was cool to our parents is junk to us. What is cool to us will be junk to the next generation. Do you think 30 years from now a 15 year old who discovers my old Norton rotting away in my garage will go "Woooo cool"? Odds are he won't even know what it is and it won't be the current fashion. It will be just so much junk.

·
Registered
88 Posts
a few years back someone was looking around at my place.

they said - why are you keeping all this shit.

don't remember what I said, if anything.

I do remember a little while later they pointed at something and said -

hey see that shit over there? can I have it when you die?

no shit.............

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Excellent thread ! Ideally if you have a son or a nephew that is into your stuff as much as you are and leave it to them that would be cool. Maybe a brother or cousin if they are into what you like as well.

I would venture that a guys wife might keep one bike around to remember you and maybe shed a tear but I think most would sell your stuff off. Probably out of necessity but in reality what are they really going to do with it !

·
Registered
252 Posts
same as any rich guy just stashing stuff they like and are interested in. Look at leno stashing all his bikes and cars. They'll mostly go to the auction block too.
Can't take it with u when u go

Hard to pay inheritance taxes also for a lot of people, so most stuff is sold.

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
same as any rich guy just stashing stuff they like and are interested in. Look at leno stashing all his bikes and cars. They'll mostly go to the auction block too.
Can't take it with u when u go

Hard to pay inheritance taxes also for a lot of people, so most stuff is sold.
We all gather stuff......some are fortunate enough to stash more than others.....and I see nothing wrong with that. It's all just relative.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I still don't know how its physically possible for someone to a mass such a collection. If every motherfucker i met in my life gave me some shit for free. It still would not equal this.. Forget about the paying to get it all.

·
Registered
214 Posts
That is one of the most amazing collections I've ever seen. Hope it all goes to a bunch of new collectors just like him and it spawns into new collections and keeps on growing into collector infinity.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts