Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What solvent or cleaner do you use? Is there anything that can be disposed of easily that actually cleans parts?
We used some enzime stuff when I was in the Marine Corp that was easy to get rid of but that needed to be kept in a heated parts cleaner to ?stay alive? I don't remember so good!

·
Registered
340 Posts
+1 on Simple Green.My shop/garage is attached to my house, added the fact I have kids.It does work pretty well.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Not to rain on anybodys parade, but just fyi......Google EGBE, the main ingredient in simple green, and you might rethink that choice. Especially the part about "testicular damage" I'm using good old fashion 515 thinner aka "safety solvent"

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a Graymills parts washer and it came with 30 gallons of Agitene. The Agitene works really well. I don't know about disposal. I have a friend who uses Kerosene in his washer. The Kerosene works okay, but you probably wouldn't want to use it if you're a smoker.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I use citrus cleaner from a bicycle shop. Works great and smells nice.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Cant beat the good old kerosine and a pair of gloves.tried a few other compounds but they do not cut the mustard in comparison

·
Registered
703 Posts
slightly used Varsol from the state hospital's motor pool. It still looks new, but they have all these reg's and stuff about use time, they cull it way early being state funded and all (tax dollars hard at work...). I get that shit for free, then take it back to them after its good and dirty, safety clean guy is none the wiser.

-A.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Diesel fuel. When it gets dirty i can burn it in the shop stove. Soak news papers in it to start the logs.

·
Registered
194 Posts
In the past I used stodard solvent, then moved to Safety Kleen. Recently I started using WD40. I am thrilled with the results I am getting. But like most I want to use what works and won't kill me in the long run. I also use Dawn dishwashing detergent with hot water and a stiff brush.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Not to rain on anybodys parade, but just fyi......Google EGBE, the main ingredient in simple green, and you might rethink that choice. Especially the part about "testicular damage" I'm using good old fashion 515 thinner aka "safety solvent"
....at4% I dont think it can be called the main ingredient.However the chemical itself is not good & Simple Green shouldnt be labeled as a "green" solvent having EGBE in it at any percentage.Looking at the MSDS, used as directed doesnt appear to be the worst choice of cleaning slovents out there.But when I chose it I was looking for something safe....so thanks for that heads up.I will be looking for a safer alternative.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I use a 50/50 mix of acetone and hydrochloric acid. That's safe, right?

Just kidding :D -mineral spirits

·
Registered
748 Posts
The simple green max I use (not the industrial stuff like I said before) does not have EGBE in it according to the MSDS.

http://www.simplegreen.com/pdfs/MSDS_EN-CA_PS-Max.pdf

Looks like it's slightly different in the normal stuff now too.

http://www.simplegreen.com/pdfs/MSDS_EN-US_AllPurposeCleaner.pdf

Good heads up on avoiding stuff that has EGBE in it though...I'll just keep using what works and hasn't killed me:D

Nice one Dan...HEY YOU GUYS!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetone_peroxide

1 - 20 of 28 Posts