Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Books I've looked in don't tell. And motorcycle shop guys don't seem to have knowledge of anything pre evo. I'm using the HD sporttrans fluid now...but it says its for use in '71 and later. Just plain oil maybe? If so what weight?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Oils have changed drastically since most of the old manuals were written ... so you can get a lot of different advise ....

I've been running Bel-Ray 85-140 in my Pan/shovel for years ... It's been working great ! My guess a Sporty would be in the same area ...

When I change it next, I'll go to a Syn or Syn blend ... I've been running the blend in all my old motors ... Seems to take the heat much better, oil consumption is less, and lasts longer .....

·
Registered
257 Posts
I worked in HD dealerships during the 1970 time frame, we used and Harley recommended 60 weight Harley Dav. oil, as it was found that lighter oil cools the gears better a switch was made to 30 weight. As the 1971 machines came out they went to a wet clutch and to stop initial banging going into gear they tried some ATF about 20% mixed with oil. All in all, if you are still running a dry clutch (and I hope you are) use 30 weight motor oil and you will be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts