Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I hear, as of May 1 the feds are insisting that a certain percent of ethynol is mixed into all pump gas.
One of our gas drivers told me what the ratio was but I really don't remember.
Anyhow, I've heard it will have adverse effects on older vehicles being that its pretty corrosive.
Anyhow have any idea about what could happen?
Or what you do to prevent problems?
Sorry if this has already been covered & I missed it.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Sounds interesting - I wouldn't mind knowing more...

·
Registered
967 Posts
Faust said:
I've read a little about it on the HAMB; yankees have been running it for a while now.
Yeah, we have a small percent added to our gas. Here's all you could ever want to know - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel

Looks like it eats some kinds of plastic and rubber. Modifying your engine would make it work. The more I thought about it, it's just like those Jr. Dragsters running alcohol - change some motor parts (don't ask me what parts they are), throw in some bigger jets, play with the timing, and you're burnin' White Lightnin'!! That's pure ethanol we're talking about, not the little bit they propose to add.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Dan said:
might be a good time to start growing corn...
Actually a larger and larger percentage of it is coming from sugarcane and hay clippings (I kid you not).

·
Registered
770 Posts
It would be great for places like hawai were there is alot of poverty and a dick load of sugar. My pops was telling me it is basiclly moonshine, or cornwhisky.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Dan said:
would sugarbeets work the same as sugarcane??
Indeed. In fact a percentage of the worlds refined sugar production comes from beets.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
tbone16 said:
My pops was telling me it is basiclly moonshine, or cornwhisky.
*at gas station*

Couple gallons for *insert car/bike name here* Little for me... little for you little for me.....:rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
ethanol has been used in alcohol funny cars for several years, mark thomas has campaigned a car sponsored by an ethanol research group in ihra for quite a while. it is drinkable in the pure form, but i wouldn't try it. alcohol typically is very rough on aluminum, in sprint cars, drag cars, and champcars, you typically "pickle" the motor by switching off the alcohol and running regular gasoline though it. the alcohol corrodes the aluminum parts where it can sit for a long time. injector fuel rails, fuel pumps, carb bowls etc. you do have to use more alcohol than gasoline to make equivalent power, hence the increased pump pressures, and jetting. there's some thermodynamic terms for that but i won't bore the group. the amount in pump gas however is small, and not as harmful to your components, i think CA is 10 - 15% already and has been for years. most states do the same thing during summer months to cut down on greenhouse gases. so now you know, no need to worry unless we go 100% ethanol. brandon

·
Registered
57 Posts
I lived in Chicago for a couple of years and I think it has been mandatory inside the city liimits (or something) for quite awile there.

All I know is it made my softail vaper lock and run like shit. had to leave the caps cracked all the time. But, if it puts money in farmers pockets and keeps our solders from getting killed, I would gladly use it.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
i just found a pretty interesting article about all of this:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12676374/?GT1=8199

if its still fuel for an internal combustion engine, i would think that some companies would produce aftermarket parts to modify an old engine to run on ethanol. couldnt take that much modding, right? they are talking $.70 a gallon! anyone up for a cross country trip in my '65 chrysler?

almost seems too good to be true when you look at this drawing:

·
Registered
726 Posts
Here in South Dakota, we have been using corn for almost 10 years. 10 % mix with gas to get 89 octane. We just add a little Octane Booster to get a little more Lead in the fuel. Don't need much, but helps lube the top-end.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
It will make the rubber parts, O-rings, etc. in your carbs swell up. I have a Bendix on one of my shovels that I had to rebuild in the middle of Faith SD about 10 years ago after we took on some ethanol gas. I've learned since that the more expensive carb rebuild kids have rubber that won't swell up. I'm personally all for it as currently we're buying gas from people who are trying to kill us, hate us, and they are price fixing. Course, if it was up to the farmers, they would price fix the ethanol too just like sugar.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts