Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so opon reading my triumph book on rebuilding the motor as well as trying to take it apart myself... i realized. i need special tools...

*deep breath* i cant even get my cover off to send it to get repaired.... #$%#$^!

am i going to have to spend like 3 times as much as i got the bike for to have some dude rebuild this thing for me?

god im so PISSED!:mad: and the book doesnt really explain how things come apart very well, i couldnt even get the points off, and i didnt wanna break anything so i just left it alone. the book makes it seem like it just pops off.... but it wasnt doing much i could tap the cam a little with the screwdriver and it looked as though it would come off the shaft, but i didnt wanna break anyting.

i mostly just need to get the clutch hub off and the key, so i can get the cover off. the rest can stay how it is for all i care.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Not sure what book your using. But get on Ebay and buy a Factory RePrint Manual. Those Claymore and Haynes manuals SUCK!! The biggest special tool you will need is a Pinion gear puller. You will also need a specialty type puller when dissasembeling the clutch assembly. Without the right stuff, you will most likely screw things up and it will cost you More in the long run. A good alternative is to have a shop build and assemble the lower end/trans (unit const) and you do the rest.

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Special tools aren't needed to remove the point cam.....After removing the point plate, remove the cam center bolt...then slide the center bolt in about half way...tap the bolt slightly sideways, and the advance unit will pop off its seat. As with everything mechanical in life, sometimes you need special tools, and sometimes you dont. I have disassembled these motors without special tools....but using care and patience.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's been a few years since I've had a trump, but as I recall I would screw the point cam bolt back in, grasp it with mole pliers(Vice Grips) use an extension and wack the mole pliers via extention and hammer from the other side of the bike.

I never forgot reading the word "mole pliers" in my manual and thinking..."what kind of limey !$&^*@ is that. Anyway, that's my master technique.

You will need a few special tools to do a complete rebuild, but they are all available.

Best of Luck,
Cory

hatch said:
Special tools aren't needed to remove the point cam.....After removing the point plate, remove the cam center bolt...then slide the center bolt in about half way...tap the bolt slightly sideways, and the advance unit will pop off its seat. As with everything mechanical in life, sometimes you need special tools, and sometimes you dont. I have disassembled these motors without special tools....but using care and patience.

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hatch said:
hell yeah! worked like a charm!! thank you! now if i could only get the clutch off id be one happy man! going to ask my grandfather if hes got a small puller.. hes got all the 80 year wierd old tools up the ying yang.:D

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, got the motherf#$%er finally.... took almost all my tools, and i had to sacrafice 2 of my screwdrivers on those stupid little screws between the pistons. but i got it... and i finally got to use my 19/32 wrench haha i knew id use it one day:D still got one case to go, cuz im sending them both out to get looked over and whatever one i get back is the case im using. gotta completely built it from scratch.

anyway, check out my crazy puller i had to make up, plus the holes were broken and stripped so i had to put nuts behind the aluminium! that was a pain!:mad:

·
Registered
59 Posts
as Pony stated above. Get the factory reprint WORKSHOP manual. It will say Meriden Works at the bottom. inside cover of mine says its "From engine number DU101" 63 to 70. those haynes/clymers books are ok for some info but worthless in a rebuilt. IMHO

·
Registered
192 Posts
Absolutely; proper workshop manual, lateral thinking and whatever special tools you can make or buy. Also get some good tobacco and a pipe for sitting back and looking at it when you can't figure out how to move on... hey, it helped me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts