Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to figure out what to do to my exhaust on my 93 sporty 883 motor. I've heard on more than one occasion that running any pipes beside the factory ones with the ugly crossover will make it really hard to dial in the cv carb. Im thinking either going with power cones in the top of the pipe up near the flange or doing a 2 into one much like jeff cochrans speed king pan where the rear exaust all but t's into a straight pipe from the front roughly coming accrossed just below where the crossover would be. Any input is much appreciated.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just curious if anyone else has came up with a solution without buying a different carb since im partial to cv's

·
Registered
74 Posts
Let it be known that the above posters definitely know the deal. My brother ran into the same thing with naysayers telling him it would make the CV hard to tune. He said screw it and did it anyway...when it came time to dial in the CV it took him 2 minutes...good to go. Happy trails!

·
Banned
438 Posts
CV stock carb is fixed so in some cases depending on exhaust it will run crappy. There is a power jet kit that replaces the fixed stocker needle. Drill out the glob over the air screw so you can adjust it and your good to go.​

·
Registered
223 Posts
CV stock carb is fixed so in some cases depending on exhaust it will run crappy. There is a power jet kit that replaces the fixed stocker needle. Drill out the glob over the air screw so you can adjust it and your good to go.​
Yeah man, you can buy the kit for the CV from a few different places that turns it into a whole 'nother carb. They run about $40 last I knew. I've had one on mine 'bout 3 yrs now-love it! Anybody that says ya' can't make 'em run with a CV don't know what they're talkin' about. Period. ( Don't know, mine might have hotter cams from previous owner ) But with only SE pipes, bumped rev limiter, modified air cleaner and jet kit my FX runs like a scalded dog. Only thing I been beat by was 100 inch Rev Tech, waxed a 'Stang GT 'bout 4 hours ago. Did the same mods on my '05 883. Do it, you'll love it!

whack

P.S.: Got the kit for the FX from Jirrah, I think the Snortster kit came right from Kiehin. Briefly checked out the Keihin page on Google, but I couldn't figure it out. Maybe I can find the empty boxes and get ya' some part numbers.---Also it's no good to put in the jet/spring kit with out openin' up the exhaust. And depending on the year if ya' run the stock air cleaner ya' gotta' drill several holes in the black plastic housing to get more air.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts