Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search and got nothing except the link to choppercookbook which is getting redone by the look of it.

I want to design a frame for a new knuckle motor and would like to understand what basis the frame builders use when they state a frame is 2 up etc or 2 out etc. What is the standard dimensions they working from including the rake?

On a side note I used to have a link to a site where you plugged in how much stretch and rake you want and its showed a representation of that in a bike, anyone remember where that might be?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Not sure of this would help, but you could use google for knucklehead frame blue prints. I know there used to be some panhead posters with demensions on it. As far as the stretched measurement it is what it is... 2 up and 2 out from that frame, not necessarily a stock measurement to start the stretch from.

Good luck to you, and how's the sporty coming along?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Here what I found in Google images. Dont know how well the measurements are legible on a computer im winging it on my cell phone...

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
The stock Knuckle frame is different than a Panhead frame. Knuckles started out with a 27 degree neck than went to a 29 degree and finished with a 30 degree neck. Panhead frames are taller in the seatpost and have a 30 degree neck. Swingarm Pans and Shovels also have 30 degree necks.
The whole 2up and 2out started when people began building the new choppers from Softails. They have a 33degree neck. Personally I think that modern stuff does not belong here. Orange County choppers might be a better place to get your up and out frame. Oh and usually those frames are also 1.25 tubing instead of the beautiful skinny 1" tubing as on a stock Knuckle. What's wrong with using the stock frame anyway? It is the most elegant frame ever designed in the world of motorcycles.
OK sorry. Rant over. This up and out stuff always gets me going...
Love ya Pete.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts