Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
alteredpilot said:
anyone??? anyone???

was looking thru some old mags and saw a couple set up like that.
got me thinking.
what do you think??
I personally dont like the look of having the clutch on the end of a jockey shift, looks too cluttered (my personal opinion). I have been thinking about doing a twist style handle (similar to exhile) at the end of a jockey shift to make it look cleaner. Not sure yet how well it would work
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
I think they look cool if it has that old style industrial look. Kind of like what tractors used to have.

I pondered the possibility of a push button on top of the shifter. Might be easier to use than a twist grip. Or a movable handle, so it looks like your whacking-off the jockey shift - would work good on a tank mounted where you could have retainer positions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
770 Posts
ol_scratch said:
I think they look cool if it has that old style industrial look. Kind of like what tractors used to have.

I pondered the possibility of a push button on top of the shifter. Might be easier to use than a twist grip. Or a movable handle, so it looks like your whacking-off the jockey shift - would work good on a tank mounted where you could have retainer positions.
I think exile did a bike with a push button clutch. Looked badass, like you had missles to fire or something. Ill bet it worked good to. I think it sounds a helluve lot safer than the foot clutch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
Which led me to think. Put an electronic push button on the shifter end. Run a circuit to servo/actuator that operates the linkage to the clutch. Run a parallel circuit with a capacitor to resistor inline to provide a slow power draw down. Easier on your thumb, and the slow energy release on the actuator would give a more manual clutch response feeling instead of open/close.

Or spring slide potentiometer, where you could somewhat control the electronic impulse. You know those things the use for slot cars - similar idea.
 

·
Tiny Member
Joined
·
1,453 Posts
tbone16 said:
I think exile did a bike with a push button clutch. Looked badass, like you had missles to fire or something. Ill bet it worked good to. I think it sounds a helluve lot safer than the foot clutch.
The button was for a line-lock and had nothing to do w/ the clutch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
726 Posts
push button clutch = worst idea ever

wasabi mayo = one of the best ideas ever
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
=mike= said:
that sounds like a bad idea to me . . . all on or all off kind of a deal . you wouldnt be able to ease the clutch on or off with a button , if that were the case .
Nah, its not a electronic button in that instance. Its a spring loaded shaft inside the handle that transfers the motion to the cable. Functionally the same as a handle clutch.

As far as the electronic button idea, that's what the cap/resistor is for. It causes ramping voltage input/output, instead of instantaneous. The actuator reacts to the voltage levels accordingly and would adequately replicate that motion. Its animatronics really.

Reinventing the wheel is sometimes the fun of it. If not, we'd all still be riding 150cc gas engines driving right into the front wheel. Besides if you building something to be different, why not be different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,256 Posts
no. Just no.

Although ive never jockey shifted with the clutch on the shifter, it seems it takes some of the difficulty out of it. to me that kinda takes the fun out of it too.

Plus it looks kinda dumb.

but thats just my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,576 Posts
yeah, good luck feathering the clutch with only 1 hand on the bars like when you're in gravel or wet grass or...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
alteredpilot said:
anyone??? anyone???

was looking thru some old mags and saw a couple set up like that.
got me thinking.
what do you think??
i made one for a trike we built for a guy in a chair,he lost use of his legs from a accident.kept it simple. pics of it or on my web page
www.broadwaychoppers.com under our bikes,then zacks trike..had a few people dig it and request them for there bikes..see ya out there LEE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,840 Posts
I had an ignition kill switch on the left clip-on of my XS racebike. Cut power with button and shift. Upshift, that is. I liked my transmission too much to downshift that way. The XS shook so much at redline that my left hand was too numb to squeeze the clutch after seven laps at Loudon.

How about a regular foot clutch with an ignition kill button on top of the jockey shift? Foot clutch to get rolling and pushbutton for subsequent upshifts. Should make for faster getaways.

New & improved idea: Hydraulic clutch with master cylinder modified to act as a pushbutton on top of the jockey shift lever. I don't know offhand how difficult it would be the push the m/c piston with one's thumb - foregoing mechanical advantage of the lever. Maybe we all just need to beef up our left thumbs?

Okay, I'm done.

ol_scratch said:
Which led me to think. Put an electronic push button on the shifter end. Run a circuit to servo/actuator that operates the linkage to the clutch. Run a parallel circuit with a capacitor to resistor inline to provide a slow power draw down. Easier on your thumb, and the slow energy release on the actuator would give a more manual clutch response feeling instead of open/close.

Or spring slide potentiometer, where you could somewhat control the electronic impulse. You know those things the use for slot cars - similar idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
568 Posts
alteredpilot said:
anyone??? anyone???

was looking thru some old mags and saw a couple set up like that.
got me thinking.
what do you think??
There was a paralyzed dude that had a really, REALLY nice shovel in an old issue of Iron Horse...it had a kind of side hack on it for him to stowe his wheel chair on it. (That same guy was at the last S.O. with his bike and he was a SUPER cool person, btw.)

It didn't look bad on that bike, but I think it looked good because it was the only functional way to go for him.

I think that if you wanna hand shift and have no excuses to puss out on the foot clutch, then do a suicide or a rocker clutch...just my .02.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top