Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got the trump up and running today, still pissin oil after i start it. im gonna try to get around to cleaning the pump and hope that fixes it. but i have 2 question. 1) can wet sumping cause one of the cylinders to smoke when you rev it up. 2) in the oil tank there is rod (tube?) that is visible and runs down to the bottom. what is this?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also to add to that, on pre-unit models when is the oil indicator (phillips screw looking thing on timing cover, right?) supposed to extend?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Wet sumping can cause the cylinders to smoke . The tube that goes down your tank on the inside is the return line if its a stock tank and you should see oil squirting out while its running . as for the "indicator " on the timing cover it should pulse while running . Its not uncommon to see them stuck or made not to move out .

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the reason i ask about the tube in the oil tank is because on mine it seems to be crimped. so if this is a return, and being closed. that would be bad. the bike runs good though, except the wet sumping.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
scratch that about the tube. it has a hole in the side for the oil to exit. so, if i clean the oil pump my smoke and leaking out of the breather will be gone? what oil would be best to put back in after i drain it and should i change the filter?

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
ok, try this .. & this ..

the tube that's "crimped" in the stock oil tank is the return, it's crimped to stop it off .. then that hole is a specific size to make back pressure that sends oil to the rockers via the tee fitting on the return below the tank, while the rest is returning into the tank thru the hole ..

now, since you've got it running .. BEFORE your pull the oil pump off and apart, look underneath the crankcase, there's a large hex-head plug .. pull it & if you're wet-sumped the oil will dump out ..

then just make sure you've got enough in the tank & get back to normal, try running it & see is there difference as to smoking, & if it wet-sumps again ..

it's quite possible just the running has re-seated your check valve ..

you can know if it's wet-sumped just by keeping a close eye on the oil level in the tank over several days of not running .. lots of them sump after much sitting but are fine when run regularly ..

wait till you get to learn Lucas ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the help. that sounds alot easier than pulling the pump. also i am curious, how "noisy" is the valvetrain supposed to be? i know the motor is over 40 years old and isnt going to be "quite" but how much is too much. i can hear it ticking and such but nothing too crazy.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts