Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
7,798 Posts
Very interesting, definately keep us posted!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks! the other half of that cast pretty good but i made a mold for a one piece and it didnt go too well. the metal was poured with out being degassed enough and i got a bunch of hydrogen porosity and it messed up a bunch of my carving. bummed. lots of hours i cant get back. ill post a photo or 2 in a bit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here are
some photos from me knocking off shell today. thats the worst offender/heartbreaker

this is the other side. the white thing is the shell after i chipped it off. usually it dosent come off that clean but i did a lot of reenforcing with fiberglass. if you go to my blog and click on lost wax gas tank you can see how i took this from a drawing to wood to a plaster mold to wax and then aluminum. lots of hours and i learned a lot. thanks for the kind words cause im pretty pissed my favorite one got messed up.

·
Registered
116 Posts
How is it done? I know that's a bloody general question but dangit man that's a killer job...I'd love to see sequentials.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well if you look at the labels on the right on the blog there will be one that says casting and that will show you a lot. i made a gas tank out of wax and carved it. then i dipped it in a silica slurry once a day till it built up enough to be strong. then i melted out the wax and poured in aluminum. thats the simple version. in real life it was hundreds of hours trying to figure out how to make each process work for me because this isnt the best process for making a functional gas tank. its mostly for sculptural stuff
http://thatcherworks.blogspot.com/search/label/lost%20wax%20gas%20tank click on that and go through the older posts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
luckly we have a foundry at the community college here. when i moved here and found out they had a casting class i signed up and asked for a job. i think i am going to focus more on sand casting than lost wax in the future. this was a bit disappointing and lost wax is a bit harder to do at home.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks! here is a close up of how the improperly degassed aluminum ruined one tank. i should be able to do something with it but its a bummer.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have sandcast a few things and know that anything with a thin cross section is difficult to get to come right. Those guys who did the Crocker tanks had to be some outstanding craftsmen. Wonder how many tanks were thrown back in the furnace until they got a good one?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah kind of the reason why i poured so many. we degass with dry nitrogen and were having problems with the pyrometer during this pour .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts