Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found these two bikes as a package deal. The chopper runs but runs like crap. They tried to do some forward controls and things that are kind of shitty but the motor runs......

The other sat in a barn t-140 on the sticker under the seat(what does that designate?)

After I got them home I realized that I will be giving all my attention to the barn bike so I have started taking off all the bits and am going to get the motor out and go thru it from bottom up.

Don't know what to do with the chopper as of yet.......they are not my thing.

Thanks for looking and I'm sure I will be asking a few questions
Best,
Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I think the seat on the stocker is for a late model T140 (750), but the bike appears to be a T120...the serial number will tell you what you have for sure...frame and engine numbers should match, unless the engine has been swapped out. You could always sort out the chopper's problems and sell it...it would help pay for the work on the other one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Goldy is right. You have a drop side seat from a late T140 (750) on what appears to be, judging by the single carb and the front brake plate, a 68-69 TR6 (650). Post up the engine/frame numbers and someone should be able to tell you exactly what you have. Regardless, it looks like you have a solid platform to start from.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Goldy/duke thanks for the reply. I wondered if it was not the correct seat.
Both motors are tr6 units. By the numbers it looks like the chopper (tr6c)is a pre '68.5 and the stocker(tr6r) is a post '68.5.

Numbers match on the stocker. Is there another place on the chopper to find the #'s? Up by the head has all been modified.

What is the "R" and "C" designation for? I think I read the C was for high compression but didn't see any info on the R.

Last night I got most of the bolts out to remove the back end. probably get that and the front of today. Then get the motor out and start tearing that apart.

Any good info on rebuilding/refurbishinh the front forks on these?

Kydd the tassels are all yours! I have't even hardly looked at the chopper. I will get rid of it before to long.

Thanks for any input.
Best,
Nick

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got a little more done. Motor out, frame cleaned up a bit. Built a table for the motor. Ordered a hardtail yesterday afternoon.

Going to dig into the motor a bit this afternoon I think.

Best,
Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tore the motor down as far as I feel I can without the needed special tools. Ordered the four aces vid so I can learn what to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got intimate with the grinder today and hacked off some frame bits. Similar to Dan Pattersons '69 build. Still have some more to do but making progress.
I also recieved my FMW hardtail (very nice) and did a little mockup, still got a long way to go.....
I am undecided whether to try to modify the stock front end expose the springs and get that 4 inch drop (like BOBBERDOGS) or if I should get a DNA springer. Or even find a dirtbike front end.......

YES my intention is to get the stance of an Angry Monkey but my addaptation of it.

Best,
Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Not trying to steer you in the direction of a springer (no pun intended), but I used one on my '72 and it rides real nice.
I had to do some mods, that were no big deal, but I bet your neck is different anyway.
I also used the FMW hardtail (6" over) & really liked it.

Keep the updates coming.
Rick.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well went with a dna springer and CF tank. Found a 21 in front wheel from a jj member and was great to deal with.

Sent the head and Barrel to Wes White and could not be more happy with his help and work. Just sent the crank out to him to get reworked as well. GREAT guy SEND your work to him!! Get well soon Wes!

I had a local laser cnc guy cut these gas tank,seat spring tabs,seat pan,rear fender brackets and winged bracket for the seat pan to pivot on all 10ga for 75 bucks.

Need to cut off tabs on tank and weld on the new ones.

I drew the parts up in my cad program and he cut them! I love tech shit!!

Fabed up the bars yesterday all Angry Monkey style.....welll kind of, I don't weld that well but can sure grind the shit back down to look OK.

Still looking for a vertical oil tank, found a few on flebay but don't know if I am keen on any of them......

Bummed Josh moved from c-bus back to cali... was thinking of having him paint my tank etc..... dang.

When I get the crank back from Wes I will start getting the cases back together too.

Any thoughts on bending the seat pan??? I had it clamped to a table and got the back bend kind of but need to "roll out" the seat part a bit more...
I dont have a press of any kind....tried a board and the front wheel of my 1 ton van but that didn't work..

Thanks for looking,
Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
.....LOVE where this build is going.....I have a soft spot in my heart for those tanks, front ends and 21" wheel.....probably cause I have them myself.
Keep us posted and add pics when you can...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts