Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the deal with welding cases? I've recently heard of it a couple times but never before. Is this for real and legit? What's the benny? Strength?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Make sure to pre/post heat them. Castings crack if they cool too fast. I just tried a gas weld on a casting, and it worked OK. I feel like if need be, I could repair cracks decently with just my torch and some cor-al rods and my BBQ to pre heat/post heat with.

·
Registered
726 Posts
i THINK the orig post was about adding webbing, reducing stress risers, etc.....IMO, an esoteric artform relating more to porting heads, firegrooving pistons, etc. ask 10 people/get 11 POSITIVELY correct answers!
not to say this ISNT a correct and needed procedure,,,,,just find the guy whos had a lot of experience in this mod, and follow his lead.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the cases on my 650 repaired. There was piece broken off where the front mount is. The guy that did mine did a fantastic job you can't even tell where they were damaged, the cases fit together perfectly with no leaking. So if you have them done have someone that knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The right man, with the right equipment, following the right procedure, can make them as good (if not better) than new.

Your mission is to sort through all the bullshit and find that guy.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm just getting a set of panhead cases repaired where they cracked through the vin section. I took it to the local Harley machinist. When I arrived, he was busy making Vincent Rapide heads (from scratch).

That gave me a hint I was in the right place.

Welding old harley cases is truly an art, because the original metal is so crack prone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.