Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a tank with a missing mounting tab and was wondering what i have to do to the tank to get rid of the gas fumes before i weld it

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
This may sound foolish, but I've done it a bunch of times. Start your car and put the fuel inlet (gas cap area) over the tailpipe and let the carbon monoxide fumes run thru it for a few minutes. The carbon monoxide will purge the gas fumes out of the tank and allow you to weld it with no Boom Boom. I've done this at least ten times in the past year without incident.....

·
Registered
186 Posts
This may sound foolish, but I've done it a bunch of times. Start your car and put the fuel inlet (gas cap area) over the tailpipe and let the carbon monoxide fumes run thru it for a few minutes. The carbon monoxide will purge the gas fumes out of the tank and allow you to weld it with no Boom Boom. I've done this at least ten times in the past year without incident.....
I have heard the same, but have never tried it. The fact that you can still type on the forum does give me some confidence in what you say. Assuming a dry tank and I guess I would still put a flame to the tank inlet from a distance before arcing off.

Good tip.

Another, If you are trying to save some paint, on sheet metal, a wet cloth to keep things around the weld cool can help minimize the bubbling.

·
Registered
296 Posts
There are a number of ways, all involve flooding the tank atmosphere with something other than air. Start by washing it out with warm soapy (dish soap works well, so does laundry detergent). If you have a gas welder, run argon into it for a few minutes and you should be fine. You can also use some dry ice (CO2), or CO2 fire extinguisher, or nitrogen, or anything. Water and drying alone will NOT always work.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Several years ago, Billy Lane wrote an article in Iron Horse, on modifying a tank.
He swore there were no fumes in the tank, but it still went up in a fire ball.

The heat from cutting or welding, can turn the varnish that forms
on the inside of tank, back into fuel vapor.

You might get lucky, or maybe not.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The tailpipe trick works, put dry ice in the tank, or even flush with water thouroughly and allow to dry. The downside of flushing with water is the rust issue inside the tank, and you have to be very thourough to remove all fumes.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Several years ago, Billy Lane wrote an article in Iron Horse, on modifying a tank.
He swore there were no fumes in the tank, but it still went up in a fire ball.

The heat from cutting or welding, can turn the varnish that forms
on the inside of tank, back into fuel vapor.

You might get lucky, or maybe not.
maybe that explains the hair

·
4,050 Posts
Chase the gas with alcohol (Heet, regular old isopropyl.).

Chase the alcohol with water.

Dry.

Weld.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I always flush the tank with dish soap and a garden hose. I run the hose until there are no more suds. I then air dry with my air compressor. Then I add dry ice, to get rid of the fumes. Then after the tank gets back to room temperature, I weld.

Sixball

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
...working on one today...drained and vented for several days in hot sunlight...never had a problem in the past.....

·
Registered
887 Posts
Dish soap, water and dry ice costs less than 8 dollars total. The exhaust idea costs less than a dollar. Both are well worth the added insurance and piece of mind in my opinion. I wouldn't risk the "evaporation" technique. Although it may have been sucsessfull for some, how do you really know all the fumes and old gas are gone? The cost of a new tank, the ER bill, and whatever else catches fire in the shop, makes spending a few bucks on some soap, water, and dry ice sound CHEAP

Sixball

1 - 20 of 33 Posts