Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
el krapp said:
whats a good versitale MIG or TIG welder, at an affodable price??? nothing crazy just one that works good, and is easy to learn on
Tell you what, I have a Dayton arc welder with a high frequency buzz box to TIG with that I'm thinking about selling - 500.00. Buzz Box has a pedal control for amp variation. Before dedicated TIG machines this was how they did it.

·
Registered
770 Posts
ol_scratch said:
Tell you what, I have a Dayton arc welder with a high frequency buzz box to TIG with that I'm thinking about selling - 500.00. Buzz Box has a pedal control for amp variation. Before dedicated TIG machines this was how they did it.
How bout just the tig setup? That light enough to ship? I got some shitty arc box that spits out decent welds, but oooooooooohhhhh boy, what I would give to have personal tig.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I have an astro 130 amp mig. For the $350 (no tank) I paid about 8 yrs. ago, I'd say I got my $ worth. It is a 110 primary and works with a 20 amp circuit. Lincoln also makes a good one and you can get it and accessories at the **** Depot. For a tig, I hunted around and bought a huge old lincoln arc/tig machine from a local fab. shop that bought some equip. It was already to go with a cooler, torch, and pedal and got it for about $1500 without the argon tank. If you buy used, take a buddy who can weld well and try out the machine to be sure it's O.K. For the big tig and migs you will need a 50amp 220 circuit. the larger (220) machines definately work better and get more penetration. If you can afford the better machine buy it. I've also used a small tig by miller. Works o.k. on thin stuff, up to 1/8" or so steel or moly, but is not so good on alum. Best prices I've seen online were at weldingmart.com. Hope this helps. MIKE.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I would go with a small 220v mig. Lincoln, Miller, Hobart, etc are all good brands and have little 220v units priced pretty close together. Don't waste your time on a unit that is not a name brand and get one that has a dealer near you for parts and service. Shitty no-name welders make shitty welds. Also, it is worth the extra cash to get the 220v over the 110v, you can do so much more with it and I personally think it does a better job welding overall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts