Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Brothers,

I'm under taking welding on a Santee Hardtail to a 76 sportster frame. What I can't seem to find is the technique used to measure and make sure everything is aligned as it should be. Everyone says "make sure its level and triple check your measurements be fore you lay the beads." this is where my lack of knowledge comes in I understand the center line, but what other measurements levels should i be looking at and taking. What's the right final outcome of said measurements? should the axle bracket be level and aligned with anything in particular ? Does any one know of any online resources?

Thanks anything will be helpful

-r-

· Registered
61 Posts
First of all, make sure your hardtail section is straight. Take mirror image measurements and compare. Find a known flat surface and set the hardtail down on it and see if it rocks. If so, something is probably off. Next, make sure the frame itself is sitting level(put a level across the two tubes on the bottom part of the bike- side to side and front to back), then set the hardtail section in place and put the back axle in. Make sure that is level. In theory, this would make everything "level". Find two points on the down-tubes at the front of the frame that you know to be evenly spaced from the centerline of the frame. Take measurements from those points to the axle plates in every way you can think of, paying special attention to the cris-cross measurements. (front right side down tube to back left side axle plate and vice-versa.) This should make sure the hardtail section is square to the rest of the frame (assuming the hardtail section you have is itself straight) Tack the section in place and measure everything again. Then measure everything again. I did not repeat myself on accident there. Measuring everything AGAIN at this point wouldn't hurt either. Tack a little more, measure, measure, measure. Repeat. You get the idea. Hope this helps.

Cheers!
toe-knee

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.