Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Not Really Evil.
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scorcher won't like this, but oh well........ at least leave it up for a while.... Has anyone here seen or actually built a chopper / bobber using a new Triumph as the base? I am slightly intrigued at the thought of a new Brit bike being bobbed. Pics, ideas links are welcome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,194 Posts
EVILJASONIC said:
Scorcher won't like this, but oh well........ at least leave it up for a while.... Has anyone here seen or actually built a chopper / bobber using a new Triumph as the base? I am slightly intrigued at the thought of a new Brit bike being bobbed. Pics, ideas links are welcome.
I remember an article about 2 years ago in Street Chopper I believe from Mike Maldonado (HeavyCustoms ?..) building a Chopper from a new twin Triumph..Can't find the issue offhand now...somebody else maybe..?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
If I were going to build one, I think I'd try to find some way to put the new motor into an pre '71 frame loop. The frames on the new Triumphs are for the most part, super ugly (big square tube backbone.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
944 Posts
Bass said:
If I were going to build one, I think I'd try to find some way to put the new motor into an pre '71 frame loop. The frames on the new Triumphs are for the most part, super ugly (big square tube backbone.)
I think you'll find that the new engine is way too big for that frame, it can be done of course, but it would be like stuffing a 650 into a 500 frame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Englishman said:
I think you'll find that the new engine is way too big for that frame, it can be done of course, but it would be like stuffing a 650 into a 500 frame.
The "it can be done" part of that statement is the most important part. :) :D

I'm sure that you are correct that it would be a ton of work, but after looking at that bike that bluebrian posted in person, I think it's possible. Either modify an early frame loop, or build a similar single downtube frame (which may be easier in the long run). Have you seen the frame on one of the newer Bonnevilles or Thruxtons without the tins? Yuck!

Also....I think if you are running the stock tank or something of a similar size and mounting position, you could get away with using the stock forward section of the new frame...since the backbone will be covered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
it works...the new frames are built around the engine...so they are a bitch to modify...

a new frame would work but you would have to build it because there is a seat tube on a harley style frame and the transmission on the new motor would get in the way...

i guess you could modify a frame to fit but there would be alot of custom work on the motor mounts.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top