Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So decided to go for a ride today and got about a mile from my house when my bike just shut off. There was no stumbling or any other funny business just died. So I started to go through gas/air/spark troubleshooting and found that I had weak and intermittent spark. I am running pazon ignition, dual lead coil, basic wiring. Has been running great lately then this. I am not sure if coil could have gone bad, ignition box, or something else. I went through all the basics, checked wiring, grounds, and connections, still stumped. When I kick it over it is only sparking about half the times as normal and with a weak spark. Also running new battery eliminator with a battery, charging system is working and bike has plenty of power. I also just wired the ignition straight to the battery to see if that would help the spark, but there was no change. Is there a way to test the coil and ignition components besides what I have already done. Everything is almost a year old so would hope this stuff would last longer than that. Any suggestions ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
all "no battery" set ups have a relatively weak spark when you are kicking it over, you are only generating about 8-10 volts until you get it to spin above 1200 rpm.
duct tape a battery on the bike, ride it and see if it still happens, then you will know if it's something wrong in the ignition or the alternator.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not running it batteryless I am always running it with a battery. The charging system is in tip top shape that is what is baffling me. Battery has 13.2 volts and alternator is putting out about the same. It seems to have electricity going in but not coming out. It's not just a weak spark it is not sparking every time and therefor not starting at all. Like i said i wired the battery straight to the ignition to see if it would produce a fatter more consistant spark but there was no change at all. I have narrowed it down to either the coil or ignition but not sure any other way to troubleshoot to figure out which one it is.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
oops, I saw the battery eliminator and assumed that,
do an ohms test on the coil and see if it's around 4 ohms, some of the Taiwan coils have been failing but the Pazon's are pretty tough, I've put many of them in bikes and never had one fail.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So what is the easiest way to check the ohms. I have full voltage going into the coil which is making me think that it is something wrong with the ignition. Is there any way to test the box or the plate on the timing side with the pazon ignition.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
yes you can remove the two little bk/wt and bk/yl wires and rub them together it should fire the plugs when you do.
there is one other thing... are you sure the plugs are good and not fouled? E/I ignitions put out a very accurate spark, not a very strong amperage spark and therefor need good clean sparkplugs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes you can remove the two little bk/wt and bk/yl wires and rub them together it should fire the plugs when you do.
there is one other thing... are you sure the plugs are good and not fouled? E/I ignitions put out a very accurate spark, not a very strong amperage spark and therefor need good clean sparkplugs.
Ok Tony, the plugs are new, so I'm assuming they are good that is the first thing thing that I replaced. Before I did I tried other used plugs that I had cleaned up that also should have been good. So I touched the two wires together (y/b and w/b) and I can hear a click in the box everytime that I touch them, but no spark. Does that mean coil? Assuming the clicking noise is what is telling the coil to fire. Not sure if my ohm meter is messed up, if I am doing it wrong, or if the coil is bad, but I cannot get a reading.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.