Jockey Journal Forum banner

Wd-40

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  2 wheeler 
#1 ·
Never knew, or really cared, what WD-40 stood for. Was at this fellow Smokey's shop (actually his garage) in the LBC yesterday observing him tear down my 4-speed. Of all the useful info he filled my mind with, when he sprayed my roller bearings and said, "Water Displacement 40 Days", I had no idea what the hell he was talking about. He saw the puzzled look on my face, held the spray can up, and said it again...WD-40. Navy specs for lubricant. Oh...

#2 ·
R.F. said:
Never knew, or really cared, what WD-40 stood for. Was at this fellow Smokey's shop (actually his garage) in the LBC yesterday observing him tear down my 4-speed. Of all the useful info he filled my mind with, when he sprayed my roller bearings and said, "Water Displacement 40 Days", I had no idea what the hell he was talking about. He saw the puzzled look on my face, held the spray can up, and said it again...WD-40. Navy specs for lubricant. Oh...
no shit..

#7 ·
Straight from the source:

What does WD-40 stand for?
WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed WD-40 back in 1953. The chemist, Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion-a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula on his 40th try. Please see Our History for more information.
http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_faqs.html

I know, I have to much time on my hands....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.