Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys , i am wondering how long you spend on a project that probably shouldnt have been started when do you finally admit defeat and give up .... I just wondered after spending hours modifying my Sprotor to fit my Wishbone frame and star hub wheel , Without modifacations to the wheel and frame . Well its gonna work but tons of time spent ....

·
Banned
700 Posts
Dinuns1!

If your bread and butter depended upon it, you wouldnt have considered anything so "creative" in the first place.

And you might just not like motorcycles like you used to.

....Cotten
PS: Or "bikers" either.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Honestly - I can't remember the last time I worked on something that was "a good idea" or "time well spent". Rarely do I admit defeat - just because it goes in the trash can doesn't mean I won't try a different route.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I have an engine now that is it its second frame and its 90% done with mochup for the second time. Countless hrs spent, i wont say wasted because there is always something gained from it. Dinius we talked about doing a starhub modifcation ( spacer) and i did it and it worked. Any other route would have been easier and cheaper. I probobly could have bought an HD springer to fit around the wheel for what i had to do to use it the with a narrow springer. Its my favorite part of the bike ;)

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the spacer machined that was the easiest part lol , i am using a sprotor on the back of my knuckle and instead of chopping of the original Drum Brake tab , i am making the chain run ''through'' the caliper so countles hrs or bracket trimming spacing and modifying and now the prototype is done and time to go to final machine . i guess wasted was the wrong term lol , just cant believe how much time i got into this little part .Guess thats why its custom haha

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Guess thats why its custom haha
Bingo! We have a winner. Custom parts don't come shrink wrapped. The world is full of dickheads that think running to their local dealer and buying parts to bolt on their bike is "custom" bike building.

·
Registered
755 Posts
The bad news is - probably relatively few people who see the bike will actually notice it. The good news is - the people who notice it and appreciate it, well...you'll probably be blowing their mind :D

Sounds worthwhile to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've spent countless hours trying new ideas on all kinds of stuff. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It's all about stretching the wrinkles out of your brain,that's the rewarding part. I've walked away from stuff for years only to come back and finish it with a new perspective. If the idea is still workable then finish it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hey guys , i am wondering how long you spend on a project that probably shouldnt have been started when do you finally admit defeat and give up .... I just wondered after spending hours modifying my Sprotor to fit my Wishbone frame and star hub wheel , Without modifacations to the wheel and frame . Well its gonna work but tons of time spent ....
hell, that describes just about everything i've ever done that ended up being worth a damn. the answer to your question is, NEVER. you may realize at some point that what you saw in your head just ain't gonna work and you have to modify your original idea to make it work, but it's always worth it in the end.

what're you gonna do otherwise, go sit on your butt in front of the tv? even if you fail, you learn something that you can apply to the next idea. if you really want it, time invested means nothing.

keep at it, it's worth it. especially a knuck. people would give their left nut to have your problems.

do it man, you know you love it.

-dan

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Cotten im not sure i understand what your saying?
Dinus,
I think the point Cotten is trying to make is that there is no way you can charge enough to make money custom engineering and building parts for customers.

And that customers have no idea what kind of time it takes to do something like this, so they're never happy with the price.

And maybe that after dealing with customers for years and years, working on bikes is not NEARLY as much fun as it was when you were playing with them as a hobby for yourself.
Larry T

·
Registered
50 Posts
what're you gonna do otherwise, go sit on your butt in front of the tv? even if you fail, you learn something that you can apply to the next idea. if you really want it, time invested means nothing.
That's what makes craftsmen different. Well put.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I call it brick wall effect,,luckily over the years I now just walk away ,,and come back later. When one thing just keep being an issue , it can feel like defeat on the whole thing ( of course it's not but, it feels that way )

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm 45 years old, I've spent the last thirty of them messing around with Harleys. I'm pretty sure that makes my answer to the OPs question: 30 years minimum!

BTW, if Cotten was saying that it doesn't make sense to do this for a living, he's absolutely correct. Unless you can become a TV star, you'll struggle financially your whole life. It's kinda like a dealer dipping into his stash! I'm really excited to do "X", but it's only going to end up paying me 1.00 an hour, BUT I REALLY want to try it.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts