Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Tiny Member
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a handful of Harley books but none of them tell if a springer was still available as an option w/ the introduction of the Hydraglide front end. Was it? If so, for how long?

Thanks.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Tony Bones said:
I have a handful of Harley books but none of them tell if a springer was still available as an option w/ the introduction of the Hydraglide front end. Was it? If so, for how long?

Thanks.
I will most likely be proven wrong, but I thought when the FL Pan went to Hydra-Glide, the inline springer died, and only the Servi-Car stayed with an offest springer for many more years. :eek:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Dr. Jett said:
I will most likely be proven wrong, but I thought when the FL Pan went to Hydra-Glide, the inline springer died, and only the Servi-Car stayed with an offest springer for many more years. :eek:
I believe you are correct, when the models changed that was it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Tony Bones said:

Thanks.
I've heard a springer was optional on 1949 panheads, maybe a year beyond that. The front fender resembles that of a '49-up glide but fits a springer. I've never seen one though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is the first time in 42 years of riding that I've heard mention of optional springers. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but never heard of it. Good chance it is a "rare, little known fact" because of someone wanting to claim his 'glide bike was correct with a springer. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I've never seen one. I would bet that in 1949 and the early 50's HydraGlides were the hot setup and folks were putting them on their pre 49 Harleys and throwing the old junk springers away. I think there were aftermarket hydraulic front ends for Harleys before 1949.

·
Registered
726 Posts
When Harley brought out the Hydraglide, the Springer was gone. Even the Servicars got the new front-ends.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Panman51 said:
When Harley brought out the Hydraglide, the Springer was gone. Even the Servicars got the new front-ends.
The BT springer carried into '49 for the sidecar equipped EL (61") and the FL (74"). 1950 was the first year for the adjustable 'glide tree (a $5.00 option) In '49 there were 99 EL and 486 FL sidecar/springer bikes made at the factory. But, in '49 there were also 177 ES and 490 FS bikes produced, which was the factory code for the EL and FL equipped with a sidecar and the new Hydraglide front end with non-adjustable triple trees.

The Servicar didn't get the Hydraglide front end untill the 1958 model. The Servi went all the way to '57 with a springer.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
flattracklarry said:
I've heard a springer was optional on 1949 panheads, maybe a year beyond that. The front fender resembles that of a '49-up glide but fits a springer. I've never seen one though.
The '49 EL and FL got the original springer fender on the front, and the new '49 fender on the rear, with the tombstone tail light, and the "sargent's stripe" stainless strips on each side of the tail light.

The way to tell an original '49 Pan that was equipped with a springer is to look at the engine number boss. The EL and the FL had a "P" added to the engine number. The factory stamped it at the END of the number - like this - FL2452P, or EL1756P, not "FLP" or "ELP".

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
R90S/2 said:
Good chance it is a "rare, little known fact" because of someone wanting to claim his 'glide bike was correct with a springer. :rolleyes:
Oh, you can legitimately "claim" it on your '49 Pan , but you need the number code on your L/H case to "prove" it.

Unless........it's a '49 - '50 FLTT, and then you got the springer from the factory on it. I just happen to know where one is, and I'll be doing a feature on it pretty soon for a magazine.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Irish Rich,Thanks for the history lesson.That is one of the cool things about this board.Whenever a question is asked someone on here will come up with the answer.Job well done.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Irish Rich said:
The '49 EL and FL got the original springer fender on the front, and the new '49 fender on the rear, with the tombstone tail light, and the "sargent's stripe" stainless strips on each side of the tail light.

The way to tell an original '49 Pan that was equipped with a springer is to look at the engine number boss. The EL and the FL had a "P" added to the engine number. The factory stamped it at the END of the number - like this - FL2452P, or EL1756P, not "FLP" or "ELP".
Thanks, Rich. I saw what was according to a Harley "expert" a '49 springer front fender. We determined it was actually a 1950 Servicar front fender, which incidentally looks like a Hydraglide front fender except for the brackets. Johnny seems to recall the '49 springer fender having the shape of a Hydraglide fender as well, but apparently he's incorrect.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Larry T said:
I've never seen one. I would bet that in 1949 and the early 50's HydraGlides were the hot setup and folks were putting them on their pre 49 Harleys and throwing the old junk springers away. I think there were aftermarket hydraulic front ends for Harleys before 1949.
they were made by vard. checkout the "harley davidson-indian wars" book.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Damn Irish Rich, I need that $ 30.00 book, badly..!:D
I do remember seeing old ads from the mid fourty's where they introduced Glide forks to fit Panheads..years before Harley came out with theirs in '49..but that was not your question TB,sorry..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.