Jockey Journal Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Also, unless I'm missing something, I don't think they make an automatic primary chain tensioner for my 73. I could be missing it, but it's sure not popping out at me. Got a tamer thrust collar on order, and going to put a micrometer all over my old parts to figure out exactly what I need to get done, and what I don't need to blow money on.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Your not missing anything, one is not made for your 73, or my 74. Just run the stock setup with a new shoe. I mean, these things are pretty maintenance intensive anyway. Poppin off a footpeg bracket once a year and pulling the primary cover is no big deal, and the shoe piece is cheap. Your gonna have to do it to check/adjust the chain anyway. Maybe its just me, but I LIKE workin on my scoot dam near as much as I do riding it, and an ironhead will keep ya workin on it alot. Worth it in my opinion, cuz there aint no head like ironhead.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
The Roller may be a better choice for the chain....Nothing to ware out as the nylon shoe does...

Bought a 61 CH years ago that came with a cracked trans shaft, so when I opened the primary up to pull the trans I found it had an aluminum roller in place of the tensioner shoe. I pulled it all apart and the roller beat the chain to shit on the outside of the plates so badly to where the chain would stand up on it's own. I wouldn't recommend a roller if they're still made out of aluminum.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
You're right, working on it is half the fun. And it's not that big of a deal, really. I'll eyeball some other brands, though, before I give up.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Well, unless the guy is lying to me, I think I've found one. (I don't think he is) It's not the old style giant one, but it's a good-looking drum. It's not cheap, but it's a fair price. Also found some 33.4 legs. Would love to find some cast trees, and some other bits, but I'll run the milled ones until I can find them.

You're right about being able to stop. I'm hoping if I get them arc'd properly, they'll be pretty stout, since the bike will be super light anyway... It's a paughco, 16 on the rear, 19 on the front, small tank. And I weigh 180lbs. I could be wrong, but I hope not. =)
my front & rear drums are properly arced, bike is reasonably lite for what it is, 21" front, 18" rear, 1 gallon tank & I weigh 150lbs with some change in my pocket. the bike slows down a lot better than it did stock, not as good as something modern but i never really feel like its dangerous. not pulling off any stoppies mind you... and i'd not want to do a lot of repeat braking... but it does the job & has some pretty damn good feedback for what it is.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Dhallilama - that's basically what i'm hoping for. I know it won't respond like modern disc, but hell... my first bike was a KZ1000. Those are notorious for not having enough brakes. Ask someone who rides one. As long as it doesn't seem dangerous, I'm willing to accept a little less for the look and the feel. You mention you weigh 150... I wonder if I'll look like an ape on a tricycle on this thing... as 180lbs and 6'1"... little wheels, little tank, no rake/stretch, short bars... Yeah. I'm going to look like a nimrod. Hopefully i wont hit my chin on my knees because of the mids...

But enough of my random rambling. I'll keep quiet till I have more updates/pictures/questions on the small and medium sized whirring bits on the inside of the motor.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
So ends up I am getting a 33.4 front end with a drum rim. I also picked up a Dyna 2000i for 80 bucks, still in the box. Now I just need to put my motor back together, and I'll be well on the way.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts