Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday. I mean this place looked the part from the outside. Name and phone number of the shop stenciled on the brick wall in a lower rent district, couple of old jap bikes for sale on the side walk, mechanic on duty sign on the front door, scumbag standin out front smokin a cigarette. So I stopped in to check it out in hopes of finding some old Triumph parts or a basket case or a lead on where to find some locally. I walk in and it looked like someone puked up a wanna be Harley shop. It had every piece of cheap ass leather riding gear I have ever seen, more bolt on crap than you could shake a stick at and dirt bike accesories galore. I knew I was in the wrong place but figured I would ask anyway. Strolled up to the counter and asked the douche my question. He stared at me blankly as if he had never heard of a Triumph and uttered the most digusting words I've ever heard. "Why would you want one those old pieces of crap, your better off just buying a new one" I swear to God, No BS, I couldn't believe it. I just shook my head in digust and walked out. People kill me, is it just me or does old metal seem to have more to it than new. It has a history, it wants to speak to you and tell stories about the good old days. It's almost as if it has a sole. The guys around the firestation all ride brand new BMW's , Harleys, Hondas, etc.. and none of them ever seem to grasp what I'm talkin about and laugh when I show them what I want to build or show a copy of The Horse. I'm starting to think I'm the only one anymore who gets it, anyone else feel the same?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
bluebrian said:
bates on 35?
Close, but they don't do mechanic work, just change tires and sell stuff. They have a small section in back w/ Screaming Eagle accessories and HD junk next to the jap junk. Catalina Cycles in Deep Ellum is pretty good, not much up front but he has some engine cases and wheels in the storage room out back. You should try Southwest Choppers off Greenville Ave. or Stovalls on 175. they will make you smile :)

·
Registered
967 Posts
I'm with you bro - seems like fewer and fewer people get it - they're all becoming sheep...

Oh well, that gives us an edge, I think.

Keep the faith,
Jay

·
Registered
261 Posts
E2Grunt said:
Na, I don't even remember the name. But it was in Garland off of Garland Rd
Yeah thats 2 Wheel World. Those dudes dont really understand but they have a mechnic in the back thats a complete dirt ball. IF you can get to him, he might be able to help you out.
If your looking for convention type bike stuff you shoudl go there though. I bought a YSR50 with a KX 80 motor in it there for like 700 bucks. That thing was fast as shit. Man i miss it!

·
Registered
175 Posts
justjeff said:
Southwest is under new ownership and wants a mint for everything. And Stovalls will make you smile.....they cry for the prices that old cat wants.
Yeah Scotty sold Southwest. Billy still works there though. They (well, Billy anyway) are pretty good with the mechanical aspect of the British bikes, but the stuff they put together can sometimes be..uhh..aesthetically challenged. :) All in all, they are pretty good dudes...go see them.

Stovall's is expensive...but if you are ever looking for a hard to find Triumph or BSA part though, they probably have it.

Catalina had two Triumph bottom ends laying on their floor the other day (like this past week)...a 500 and a 650. Didn't ask prices though.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I must have caught the new guy on a good day. I got a 18" wheel on a conical hub, sprocket, brake backing plate, axle and a shitty old Dunlop for $50.

Those three are the only places I've seen with old Brit stuff. Oh yeah, RPM too, but they don't let you dig around much. Does anyone know where Scotty ended up?

justjeff said:
Southwest is under new ownership and wants a mint for everything. And Stovalls will make you smile.....they cry for the prices that old cat wants.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I hear ya man! We've still got one old timey shop around here but who knows how long it can last. What gets me is our Harley shop has 90 percent of the floor space devoted to clothes, trinkets and the motorcycle "lifestyle". Ha! If you want to feel good go look at Kilroys thread. Great shots of yesteryear. There's no doubt about it, bikes are better now then they've ever been but I'm just not interested in riding around on a 2 wheeled jet ski. I guess I'm just getting old.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Spike! said:
Been to a Harley dealership lately? looks like a bike shop from the outside...Spike
I made the mistake of going to our local Harley department store with one of my buddies. He rides into the parking lot on his sportster and my brother rides in on his 81 KZ305 CSR and me on my 78 GS1000. So that was funny enough, parking with all the V-twins. Then we walk inside and it's like Macy's - my buddy bought two shirts (to show everyone that he owns a Harley) and it cost him $120!?!

I'll stick to buying my bikes from poor suckers who need money to buy a six pack - it's been working so far!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The good ol days said:
Yep yep...I hate all them "bikers" that arn't doin' it the way I does it. I'm so sick of all these yuppies trying to hump the scene for all it's worth. I'm a go sit and stew a spell.
Speakin of yuppies, I've got another rant that has been stewin for a while. I'll post it in a new thread tomorrow when I've got more time and maybe a little beer on board.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
If you need some parts call Paul Z. from "Born Again Bikes" in Laredo he just hook me up with my 67 bonny. He might have the parts you are looking for I just traded my basket case and some cash for the bonny. Paul's a great guy and could find what you are looking for, he has a nice collection of Triumphs and other brit bikes. Another person is Stu at SOS motorcyces in San Antonio he has parts too. Paul and Stu are great guys to know.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Spike! said:
Been to a Harley dealership lately? looks like a bike shop from the outside...Spike
NOT the one in the woodlands...it looks more like Saks Fifth Ave.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Hollywood's Mc Emporium in Nacogdoches...I sort of grew up in this place....dirty greasy, they have a drag bike that they race on a shoestring budget. Smiles (Hollywood's Wife) does the machine work in an are smaller than my bathroom. YES THEY ACTUALLY MACHINE STUFF and BALANCE flywheels and crazy things like that!!!! Who would have guessed?!?!
All work is done by 2, so that it doesn't interfer with the beer drinking.

And they know old shit, pans, shovels, iron head sprtster....they know.

It is on South Street in front of a crackhouse motel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts