Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am assembling a 1940 WLD flathead 750cc. I want to make a period bobber as I started with a set of WLD crankcases and the bobber style is the cheapest way to put together a 1940's HD from pieces. I purchased a W&W Cycle ag [Germany] "Cal Bobber" rear fender #30-146 as I did not want to cut up an original or repro rear fender. It was recommended as good quality but "minor works to fit the fender to your bike may be necessary". I trial fit it and it is 1-1/4" too short in the front bottom area where it bolts up behind the tranny. also the "L" shaped top middle fender bracket is 1/2" too far back. I have to grind off the 2 attaching rivets, redrill the fender and rerivet it in the proper place. I contacted W&W and they said they would forward my problem to the person in charge of such matters. I paid $275 [with shipping and duty] for a fender that doesn't fit close and I will have to do a fair amount of welding and body work to make it work. My question to the forum is has anyone dealt with W&W and had similar mediocre results? I would suggest anyone who wants a WL bobber rear fender to order a Custom Chrome #13-191 WL rear full fender for $209 and cut it how you want it. I have 2 of them and they fit right up. I'll add I am 70 years old and have worked for a Harley Dealer for 30 years. I have seen tons of misfit aftermarket parts in my career but this fender looks like Ray Charles made it.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts