Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suppose a voltage regulator will keep the system from allowing the battery to charge?

Is there any other way of testing it besides the grounding a test light and checking each prong on the plug?

Also what happens to the electrical system if the bike is being riden and the battery takes a total shit to the point the bike hardly runs, backfires and then dies?

I replaced the battery, checked the wires but the damn thing ain't chargin.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If we knew what kind of bike it would help. On any bike you can connect a volt meter to battery. Pos. to pos. and Neg. to neg. Set meter to read DC volts. Start bike and check reading. Run the motor up to about 2000 rpms.Should read around 14 to 14.5 with a good system. Also check your ground wires. Just because they are bolted down doesn't mean their grounded.There are ways to check generators and alternators if we knew what you have on bike. See ya down the road.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's an Evo based bike. I think I may have found my problem (I hope). The regulator mounting plate is powdercoated black, with only a wee bit removed for the ground. I don't think it was getting a good enough ground, so I ground off my powdercoat.

We'll know if I was right tonight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts