Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is can you interchange parts between VL and UL forks?

Such as Front legs, rockers, springs, tree clamps ect.

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Tom, I've always understood that a UL fork is the same as any other "big twin" fork and yes, the front end parts are interchangeable between all "big twins". To my way of thinking (always slightly suspect!!) the VL isn't classified as a "big twin". The VL fork does differ in a few ways. As I recall, the spring rods and lower springs are longer on the VL and the front spring fork on the VL is a little shorter as well. However, the front spring fork, spring rods, and lower springs will interchange when used together as a unit. I say that because I'm pretty sure the fork end rocker stud diameter is the same (this is something (rocker stud diameter) easily changed unless your a purist), although I'd say swapping rockers has more to do with the type of axle, hub, and brake assembly your using than the type of fork.The top clamps do not interchange between VL and big twin (different size holes for top of leg tubes and stem nut assemblys).

Regards,
Geo.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
VL is a Big twin just not the OHV bigtwin and the UL used the same platform as the knuckle, Not mutch crosses over from the VL to the UL/EL platform.

........Roach.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. For the last few years i have been searching for a good used OEM springer for my panhead and I happened to come across an advertisement for a set of OEM I-beam type forks that i believe were standard on the VL models. The owner was selling them without the top tree clamp. He also mentioned in his add that the front legs were from a UL. I was a little skeptical of buying it as i was afraid that I would be getting into something that would create a bunch of unessasary modifications and head aches.

Thanks, Tom

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
You are aware that a VL stem won't fit your Panhead, right? You need to change the stem, or modify your frame for VL cups. Either way is a lot of work but doable. And if it is an RL fork it won't fit either, the stem is too short.
Robbie

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
RL can be done with a custom castle nut, had one on my pan long time ago..........Roach.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, that I am aware of as he mentioned that the stem is 1 1/8" dia. I think what i am going to do is keep looking for a 1948 offset springer since this would have been the standard one for my wish bone frame.

Tom

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks, that I am aware of as he mentioned that the stem is 1 1/8" dia. I think what i am going to do is keep looking for a 1948 offset springer since this would have been the standard one for my wish bone frame.

Tom
I-beams are really cool, and you can interchange EL/UL front legs. There would be no problems there other than a little different stance. Ask to see if the stem has been modified/ If it's an rl you can take the crown nut to a machine chop to ve shaved as Roach mentioned.If the price is right run it till you can find the super expensive offset. Fred

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
VL front legs are shorter and have cast bottoms intead of pressed tube as per later.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
VL forks are also .5in narrower than later. I'm using a casting from a WL for mine and I had to turn up special rear rocker pins to space the rockers out .25 each side to suit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts