Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, picked up a really nice VL springer last summer that I'd like to run on my genny shovel in a VL frame chop. Its really complete and even came with most of a steering dampner, I think I'm just missing the top hardware for the dampner. At any rate, I'd like to go ahead and mock some things up, but for the time being I haven't got any bearing for it and I'd like to get some questions answered before I pick up some parts for it. I haven't got the springer in front of me right now, just have this one semi crappy picture.

1. Is there any type of tapered bearing conversion for these or does everyone run loose ball bearings? I've always done the conversion on my Triumphs, but obviously there aren't as many VL's out there as there are Triumphs so maybe there isn't a kit readily available?

2. If you look at the picture you can see that the old lower bearing race is broken. Are these just a slip fit on or am I gonna run into issues removing it and replacing it? Again, would probably be easy to answer for myself if I had it here, but I don't so any input you guys can give me is much appreciated.

3. Last, but not least, you can see what is there of the steering dampner. Does it look like all I'm missing is the top hardware for it? Appears to me, but what do I know, that the bottom portion of it may be complete and the threaded rod that runs through the center of the neck is there too. Anyone happen to have part numbers for the parts I need to complete the steering dampner? I've seen what the dampners go for on ebay and it looks like I could sell my dampner for about what I paid for the entire springer, but for the time being I think I'd like to run the dampner.

4. Anyone happen to have an exploded view of a VL springer/hardware that might include part numbers?

THANKS!!!

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
That isn't the lower race. It is part of the headlight bracket and has nothing to do with the bearings. It will just slide off.
Go to the Harbor Vintage website for VL stuff. Also VL Heaven. The parts are available.
Robbie

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I replaced the stem with a 1 inch type. I had a set of cups turned up that takes standard tapered rollers and would fit the larger hole in the VL neck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.