Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a VL frame a while back with the intent of transplanting my Panhead motor (w/ title) into it. Fast forward 6 months and I found a good deal on a Shovelhaad motor and trans. Now the problem is the motor is a Shovel head cone with Cal-Product cases. I have no papers on the motor other than a bill of sale, and the frame didnt come with numbers back then. So my question is, how am I supposed to get this on the road, with an aftermarket case and a frame with no factory issued numbers?

·
Registered
767 Posts
pray

i dont know texas works, but here in ny you would barely have a prayer in getting it registered. the cases for the shovel have absolutley no identifying numbers from the manufacturer? i would say u would need atleast somethingto be able to show that the motor isnt stolen. in ny when u do somethng like this you have to take the bike and all paperwork for everything to the police auto crime unit. from there they look over the bike and paperwork, make sure it all adds up and then issue a state assigned vin # and big yellow sticker up on the neck of the frame. from here u can go to the dmv with the new vin and get it registered and insured. i have a 78 shovel in a paughco rigid frame with these ugly yellow vin stickers. its titled as a a 1978 HD, but i had to pay an extra 200 a year for insurance. hope this helps a bit

rev K

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Texas Builders Title. You'll need bill of sales for frame, frontend, engine, transmission and everything else you can think of. After all of the paperwork and headaches are thru, it'll be registered as a 2006 model.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I built a bike when I lived in Mesquite...45 motor, triumph trans, BSA A10 frame. After I built the damn thing, it dawned on me that I didn't have a title...doh! I did have the bills of sale on all the items and ended up getting a builder's title. Two tips:
1. Find a clerk in the DMV who knows how to do this (hint - ask a hot rod builder).
2. Have all your receipts when you go to the inspection. Inspector "them look like new tires, where did you get em?". Me...."doh!" and back to the house for the receipts for the tires and tubes. LOL!
Texas gave me a choice of registering it by either the frame (BSA) number or the motor (HD) number. So now I own a 53 HD bitsa.
Good luck, it is not impossible but it can be time consuming.
Hank

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
That Bitsa is a freak.

Yeah, let me know how your title of your bike comes along, I like to know what kind of bullshit you have to go through here in TX.

Do I need to bone some chick at the DMV to get my shit titled?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Galaxie500XL said:
That Bitsa is a freak.

Yeah, let me know how your title of your bike comes along, I like to know what kind of bullshit you have to go through here in TX.

Do I need to bone some chick at the DMV to get my shit titled?
if its a bike that your just riding around town just punch pan numbers in aftermarket cases and be done with it - cops dont know the difference anyway - just dont take it somewhere that the feds are walking around looking for screwy shit . thats my take as but ive been drinking all day

·
Registered
129 Posts
el krapp said:
pray

i dont know texas works, but here in ny you would barely have a prayer in getting it registered. the cases for the shovel have absolutley no identifying numbers from the manufacturer? i would say u would need atleast somethingto be able to show that the motor isnt stolen. in ny when u do somethng like this you have to take the bike and all paperwork for everything to the police auto crime unit. from there they look over the bike and paperwork, make sure it all adds up and then issue a state assigned vin # and big yellow sticker up on the neck of the frame. from here u can go to the dmv with the new vin and get it registered and insured. i have a 78 shovel in a paughco rigid frame with these ugly yellow vin stickers. its titled as a a 1978 HD, but i had to pay an extra 200 a year for insurance. hope this helps a bit

rev K
i'm really surprised you got that titled in ny as a 78 harley...weird.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Richiepan said:
if its a bike that your just riding around town just punch pan numbers in aftermarket cases and be done with it - cops dont know the difference anyway - just dont take it somewhere that the feds are walking around looking for screwy shit . thats my take as but ive been drinking all day
<- waits for the 1000 other people who are going to chime in who wouldnt think of doing anything illegal like this because they have never beeen through the NJ DMV system. haha.

i agree, find something with a title, and punch some numbers in a call it a day.

im also waiting for the "horror" stories about cops in daytona makeing you split your cases etc, etc, etc.

BTW - in nj...in YOUR situation, it is impossible...yes...for everyone who says "there has to be a process"....there is NO process to get a title for a bike that doesnt have a title...and you dont have an MSO (no....bill of sales mean SHIT) and when you have MSO's for every nut and bolt its a prayer.

but..say if you have a 66 triumph with no title....there is NO WAY..and i mean NO WAY at ALL unless you go through a title company to get a NJ title for it....NONE. no bonded titles, no nothing no stolen crime check. nada.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts