Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for feedback from people who run "old style" tires, such as Coker tires on there bikes. I ride my pan 2k mikes per year - most trips under 150 miles one way, rain or shine. I like the look of the "vintage tires", but am concerned about safty, especially when the small print says, these are for antique bikes. Any body - have feedback for me ? Thanks in advance - phd

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Not as good as a decent modern tire. Although that's only what I have heard. Avon makes some pretty good ones with a vintage tread style. I use them on my chief.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I ran the firestones on last years EDR. They are NOT todays technology but they didnt toss me in a ditch either. Held up fine on dry, wet, turns and pot holes big enough to make me cry.... no realy I cried.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
if i'm not mistaken avon speedmasters are made with modern compounds. i wouldn't run them on a canyon carver but they work fine for me on my choppers and bagger.

·
Registered
313 Posts
5.10x16 Cheng Shin copy of a vintage Firestone runs about $70 and a rear is good for about 7-8,000 miles on a heavy FLH. They balance up fine and ride great. Cornering and wet weather performance is as good as can be expected for a 30+ year old design, which means good enough for me for the price and for my 30+ year old bike. You want a vintage look, you get vintage performance. Buy something else if you ride like Rossi all the time, but otherwise they're fine.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
i am running avons on my "project".......seem good ..got dunlaps on my other bike and there shit!.........like plywood and marbles on the wet!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Andy, I just wish I knew what that fender is off of. I got it at a swap meet but the guy I bought it from didnt know where he got it either.

Creepin, You got me screaming on if they are made by Firestone or not. All I can tell you for sure is that Coker sells them. Maybe theres a dealer on here that can answer it for us?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I thought coker made those? They say firestone and are readily available on the coker site. Now if only coker would remake the 2.75 speedmaster :(

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I've used Avons before and they ride good. Plenty of grip for a vintage design. I've got a Goodyear TWW on the rear now and it'll spin up pulling away from a junction in slightly damp conditions - on a 45!:eek:

Cheers Johnny

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
im running a deluxe champ repop rear and an avon speedmaster front & the handling, acceleration & braking feel spot on. i drag the shit out of my pegs & pipes in the corners (ie.-screen name) & the tires stick like glue. im a big fan of this combo for performance and looks.

i also think handling isnt really only reliant on the tires - the bikes geometry, weight, weight distribution & also the rider has a shit load to do with it too. you could throw moto GP slicks on the most whacked out custom bike & it could still squirm & wobble all over the place.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Avon MK IIs rule.
+1 Generally get about 16-18K out of a rear, still working on the first front (Speedmaster) 3 years later (but it's gettin' a bit thin now). And I ride pretty damn hard, too, never had a problem chasin' modern bikes in the twisties, rain, sleet, and yeah, even snow a time or two (but I don't make a habit of that or anything). The only thing I don't like about the MK II's is that they generally take a bit more weight to balance than I'd really like. But they do balance up, and ride pretty damn well. That super tall sidewall is all the suspension I've got back there, running anywhere from 25-30 psi they ride pretty damn well...

-Kuda
'49 panchop

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I'm going to give this thread a bump hoping to get a few more opinions.

Any more reports on the Firestone Deluxe or even the diamond tread Coker? I've been searching through threads on the JJ and have been finding reports of them being not so good.

I'm also looking at an avon Roadrunner. They have a vintage style tread but they seem to grip ok. I had a pair that came on my Commando when I bought it and although they were worn, they gripped pretty good. The combo I'm leaning towards buying is the 19" Roadrunner rear and 21" Speedmaster MkII front.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts