Jockey Journal Forum banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
It's just mocked up for now Zeeman, we did the fitting before the tyre was available so there was a certain amount of guesswork.

There will be more clearance on the finished project.

Peter

·
Registered
561 Posts
that looks sweet.

can't get my head around the idea of flex in a crank, would have thought it results in a big end seize or them and mains getting knocked out pretty pronto, anyhoos you've obviously got a tried and tested method.

Allthe best running it, any dates. North Weald, Brighton?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
As you saw, once the slick was on the clearance was too tight, so changed the rear end for the one with a 2" stretch on it. As you can see it sits much better, and the guard can be moved forward about 1/4" if needed.

Gearbox finished, fitted with the factory close ratio gears, and started the front end with new bearings. Roy next door was a bit busy to finish chroming the fork covers so the rest will have to wait till Wednesday.

Dick from Barons also sourced another couple of nice items for the bike, a nice Smiths Chrono Tach and an original Trophy timing cover with tacho drive. I think Dick is going to remove the breather and repair.

Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
...hello The Baron, you say that the unit cranks cannot hold high rpm s, due to no flex; but that was not fixed (and later factory fixed) putting C2 and C3 clearance roller bearings? Was a solution in other brands like Norton s

·
Registered
165 Posts
As you saw, once the slick was on the clearance was too tight, so changed the rear end for the one with a 2" stretch on it. As you can see it sits much better, and the guard can be moved forward about 1/4" if needed.

Gearbox finished, fitted with the factory close ratio gears, and started the front end with new bearings. Roy next door was a bit busy to finish chroming the fork covers so the rest will have to wait till Wednesday.

Dick from Barons also sourced another couple of nice items for the bike, a nice Smiths Chrono Tach and an original Trophy timing cover with tacho drive. I think Dick is going to remove the breather and repair.

Peter
Yes Peter sourced out of my personnel collectiom of rare pieces :rolleyes:

·
Registered
165 Posts
...hello The Baron, you say that the unit cranks cannot hold high rpm s, due to no flex; but that was not fixed (and later factory fixed) putting C2 and C3 clearance roller bearings? Was a solution in other brands like Norton s
Hi ,
Even with rollers the unit cranks can still give out ,
as with any rotational mass the higher the revs the piece wants to flex to a small degree ,and any weak point in the way of a stress razor will eventually show in the way of a fracture, prolonged high revs and heavy loads cause the piece to be stressed ,and a real big stress razor in the one piece crank is the massive sludge trap hole with its thread ,the usual point of fracture being across the right side journal next to the cheek as there is least meat on the crank at this point being the weakest part (with its stress razors), not saying the three piece will not expire plenty have ,but is more forgiving as by nature of contruction as the load is spread across its six retaing bolts and over a wider area ,and so it is able to withstand the load better than the thin (Stress razor'd) wall of the B/E journal ,and is favoured more by us for that reason.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Too busy painting the new unit today to do much work on the bike, but fitted up the forks and front wheel to get a look at the stance. Front will drop a bit when motor is in and I'm sitting on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
The shop has been super busy and delays in getting the pistons we want has meant this project has slowed somewhat, as we can't get the crank balanced till then.

However the chopped monoblocs finally arrived, and all other engine parts present and waiting to be fitted as soon as that is done.

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Too busy painting the new unit today to do much work on the bike, but fitted up the forks and front wheel to get a look at the stance. Front will drop a bit when motor is in and I'm sitting on it.
Dumb question, did you guys strecth the lower rails a touch to drop the back? The back bone seems pretty straight back the rear wheel to me. Looks great by the way!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Sorry for no news, shop busy with other builds.

Just to bring the project up to date, almost done, about a week away from starting her up.

Here are some shots of where we are at. You might notice a change to the rear fender, a wider deeper 'C' section guard with plenty of clearance but looks nice and tight.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.