Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen what Coker has- where else can I look for vintage style tires? Looking for something for a 53 pan bobbber maybe with a slightly more aggressive tread than like the Firestone Deluxe. Thanks for any and all help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
726 Posts
Speed King said:
I've seen what Coker has- where else can I look for vintage style tires? Looking for something for a 53 pan bobbber maybe with a slightly more aggressive tread than like the Firestone Deluxe. Thanks for any and all help.
I use Avons on my '51 and Maxxis WW on my '60. Can buy them almost anywhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
Beware of ordering directly from coker.com. I thought it would be good to order direct and support the company, but I just got quoted $55 shipping on a $300 order to ship two tires via GROUND service. They don't tell you what the shipping cost is going to be when you order on-line. After you place your order and give them your credit card info, then they send you the actual "bill" after the fact with the surprise shipping quote. Better to order from a place like j&p or denniskirk, or anyone else that has free shipping for orders over $300. My two cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,239 Posts
Speed King said:
I've seen what Coker has- where else can I look for vintage style tires? Looking for something for a 53 pan bobbber maybe with a slightly more aggressive tread than like the Firestone Deluxe. Thanks for any and all help.
http://www.americanmototire.com/

Not sure about repops, but this place has the best prices/shipping I've encountered for bike tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,704 Posts
Don't buy Cokers if you really going to do some serious riding. They are not compounded for real lean angles. I'm mounting Avon speedmasters (MKII's?)(18") on the Chief and the tread is that zig zag pattern just like the old firestones and I've been running Avons on two of my shovles for over 10 years with only normal problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
636 Posts
Are you talkin about 16" or 18"? I've been havin the same problem myself, did'nt find any tire that I REALLY like... I'm lookin for 4.00-18", will probably settle for a Firestone ANS.

Personally I don't like the zig-zag tread of the Avon SM2 and I think the profile is a little too square. Found another Avon SM tire called "Original" that looks really nice, problem is that they only make them in 19", too bad...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,856 Posts
epinut said:
Are you talkin about 16" or 18"? I've been havin the same problem myself, did'nt find any tire that I REALLY like... I'm lookin for 4.00-18", will probably settle for a Firestone ANS.

Personally I don't like the zig-zag tread of the Avon SM2 and I think the profile is a little too square. Found another Avon SM tire called "Original" that looks really nice, problem is that they only make them in 19", too bad...
Thanks for the scoop Epi. Can you enlighten us where you found the 'Original' style 19" Avons for sale?

Appreciate the info. Thanks in advance.

MC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
epinut said:
Are you talkin about 16" or 18"? I've been havin the same problem myself, did'nt find any tire that I REALLY like... I'm lookin for 4.00-18", will probably settle for a Firestone ANS.

I'm looking for 16"- I also thought that ANS looked pretty good compared to everything else I've seen- I wonder how it handles? This bike gets ridden regularly. I'm kind of a stickler for details so I also like the fact that it's a Firestone. Thanks everybody for the input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
Speed King said:
epinut said:
I'm kind of a stickler for details so I also like the fact that it's a Firestone. Thanks everybody for the input.
Never noticed that by lookin at any of your cars and bikes.:D

Pack yer shit and get to the Drags son just bring a extra tranny this year...........

Shoe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
636 Posts
Flatironmike said:
Thanks for the scoop Epi. Can you enlighten us where you found the 'Original' style 19" Avons for sale?

Appreciate the info. Thanks in advance.

MC
Sure, only found them at UK dealers...
http://www.classictyres.com/lambrook/index.asp?TAG=&CID=&PGE=

Or:
http://www.vintagetyres.com/vts/default.asp

They used the same pic for both 18" & 19" tires but when I asked for a pic of the whole tire they explained that the 18" had a "slightly different pattern".... (The usual zig-zag)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,194 Posts
I'm looking for one (or two is better) Firestone Sportsman tires...(NOS, repops or used)..they were the original tires fitted on the WLA Flatheads..see picture please (sorry, out of focus !) Anybody? Or a link..? Thanks !
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Re: Coker - if you find them at swap meets where they set up a booth, they'll sometimes cut a deal for shipping (shipped for free to me). Can't promise you the same, but they've been stand-up guys in dealing with me and some of my friends. (And I can't comment on lean angle vs. wear - my floorboards get in the way).
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top