Jockey Journal Forum banner
1541 - 1560 of 2955 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,541 · (Edited)
I heard or read a story a year or two ago about Prentiss Perry that was amusing. They were going to a race and Prentiss stopped to eat breakfast. Sonny Scott was taking "Stagefright" separately. The track was less than perfect. Priness had a couple of friends with him and believe or not while they were eating, a commercial came on advertising Perry & Scott in one of those famous Sunday,Sunday,Sunday radio ads. "See Perry & Scott with "Stagefright" turning 160 mph". Priness looked at his friends and took a sip of coffee. "I wonder who Scotty has riding it today. I sure ain't going to turn 160".

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,544 · (Edited)
Humm, I will ask Scotty when I see him next month what the real story is, or what he can remember. I think he is 89 or 90 now.
What I took from the story was Priness Perry was making fun of the dragstrip radio commercial announcing him turning a speed he had not yet achieved ( he was turning 150s) on a marginal track he would not be trying to improve on. Wondering who Scotty had riding it that day was part of the amusement to his friends. Scotty was not at the breakfast and as far as I know Perry was Scotty's only rider on Stagefright.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Humm, I will ask Scotty when I see him next month what the real story is, or what he can remember. I think he is 89 or 90 now.
When you see him could you ask him about the double Norton please? Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Sure I can ask him about the Norton. Skin, I was only referring to straightening out who built what and when, not the story about Prentiss. That was a funny one for sure. Gotta figure promoters upped the ante all the time to sell tickets. And speaking of promoters, I am trying to get to gether with Harry Hibbler, who ran the San Fernando Drag Strip for many years. He lives here in the Valley and knows a buddy of mine Frank Kaisler who crewed for Routt in the early days.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This doesn't look like the Max Kelly Tri-double I remember. I'll try to dig up my photos of his bike. I think he added the blower later. Then again, I could be wrong.............(later) I was wrong. I was thinking of the blown Vincent which was the last bike he built...never could get it to run right.

·
Registered
156 Posts
what happens to old race bikes???
Wheel Tire Motorcycle helmet Helmet Sports gear

they get pulled apart and painted hideous colours!!

Tire Wheel Crankset Vehicle Motor vehicle

and the motors put in new chassis.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Tire

i just picked up the chassis,want to built it up and run it again as a blown methanol setup.unsure what engine combo i will run.it was a blown 620cc suzuki that ran 140mph-9.7sec 1/4.that combo is now in the last photo.are going to help get that up and running again too.

·
Registered
268 Posts
So good to see more pictures of Stagefright - both old and new - on the forum. It was because of this bike that I first made contact with John Stein via Frank Spittle's help, to try and nail down Priness Perry's correct name for mentioing in my book.
John Stein has done a brilliant job in telling the story of the sport in his great book, 'Motorcycle Drag Racing: A History', but equally importantly has done a lot to help preserve some of the historic machinery involved in making that history.
Hope to see some pictures from the exhibition he is currently working on. Sadly it is a little too far away for me to visit, but should be a great display for drag fans.
I also hope it will provide a boost to Waynes efforts to get vintage drag bike racing established in America. I am currently involved in getting some bikes together for the Dragstalgia event at Santa Pod in July, over here in England.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Great shot John. Do you know where that was taken?

Keith. Not that it helps much but a long as I've known it was Priness. I've seen Prentiss, Prentice, Printess over the years but as far as I know its Priness.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Great shot John. Do you know where that was taken?

Keith. Not that it helps much but a long as I've known it was Priness. I've seen Prentiss, Prentice, Printess over the years but as far as I know its Priness.
You are missing one name for Priness, because when he came to England he was called Lawrence at the Dragfests, as that supposedly sounded better for us English! Now you can see why I was confused!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
The pic of Max Kelly on the bike is absolutely mind blowing. This is the greatest thread ever. Thanks for posting StageFright pics everyone. Please if you have them keep them coming.

I have to admit I have become quite jaded over the years and the vast majority of motorcycles do not excite me in the least. Stagefright has gotten me excited again and has motivated me in my own speed attempts.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
You are missing one name for Priness, because when he came to England he was called Lawrence at the Dragfests, as that supposedly sounded better for us English! Now you can see why I was confused!
Very true! I forgot about that completely. Somewhere out in the garage (along with all the other junk) I have a copy of HRM that covered the trip (was it called "Dragfest"?) to England and now that you mention it he was referred to as Lawrence. Now I'll have to go dig it out and scan it.

1541 - 1560 of 2955 Posts