Jockey Journal Forum banner
1521 - 1540 of 2955 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
As a native Rhode Islander I'll admit we're not recognized for a whole lot of positive attributes, but I have never heard a negative comment spoken about Dick Prime. He along with Jimmy King, Donnie Marshall, John Healy and Bill Lawton gave us motorheads a source of pride in this little state.

Thanks,
Jerry

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,522 ·
We have seen nitro explosions posted here and they have shown the destruction caused by the powerful fuel when things go wrong. It is not unusual and most of the time no one gets hurt except occasionally the rider. But last weekend in Valdosta Georgia a T/F Harley exploded during the burnout and at least three crewmen were injured. According to eyewitness accounts the explosion was so violent that shrapnel was lodged in the bodies of those injured and exited the back of one just as a bullet would do. At last report all but one had been released from the hospital. All are expected to survive. In all the years I have been involved as a racer and spectator this is the worst injuries from an engine explosion I have heard of to anyone other than the rider and there were no reports of injuries to the rider in this incident. As more and more nitro is pumped into the engines it is like adding more dynamite to a bomb so when something goes wrong the explosions will be worse.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The best advise I can give you is to take it to a dragstrip as it is now. As you get more accustomed to riding it under accelaration start removing weight to improve your times. When you have removed as much weight as possible (safely) then decide if you want to spend much, much more money to go faster.
I can't remember having ever heard it put so well.

·
Registered
268 Posts
We have seen nitro explosions posted here and they have shown the destruction caused by the powerful fuel when things go wrong. It is not unusual and most of the time no one gets hurt except occasionally the rider. But last weekend in Valdosta Georgia a T/F Harley exploded during the burnout and at least three crewmen were injured. According to eyewitness accounts the explosion was so violent that shrapnel was lodged in the bodies of those injured and exited the back of one just as a bullet would do. At last report all but one had been released from the hospital. All are expected to survive. In all the years I have been involved as a racer and spectator this is the worst injuries from an engine explosion I have heard of to anyone other than the rider and there were no reports of injuries to the rider in this incident. As more and more nitro is pumped into the engines it is like adding more dynamite to a bomb so when something goes wrong the explosions will be worse.
I must admit to being amazed at the sound - and the feeling in the stomach - produced by the twins when I watched them in the UK last year. They sound like a bomb waiting to go off. Incredible to watch them run though, as they are a real spectacle.
Pleased to hear that those injured in the explosion last weekend should all make a good recovery.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts

Speaking of really cool old drag bikes. This is the legendary Stagefright. Perry and Scott raced it from the 50s to the sixties. It was one of the first bikes to go over 150. It ran on 95 percent nitro and feaures a hand made custom aluminum frame that was heliarced in the 50s. As you can see, it has two Triumph motors. I am fortunate enough to have met Sonny "Scotty" Scott and am working for the current owner of Stagefright, John Stein. John is a great guy and a major enthusiast.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
The bike is headed for the Drag Racing display at the National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa, IA in a couple weeks. Time constraints are not going to allow me to get it to do a burnout on the steps of the museum (how awesome would that be??!!) but when it comes back I am going to want to get it running and do some exhibition runs with it.

It has an HD primary chain mated to a Triumph clutch that they welded an extra set of teeth to, and it has only one gear in the trans...HIGH! It is an amazing piece of machinery built by a true pioneer of the sport. Scotty is todays top fuelers' grandaddy and just a neet guy.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Shame you can't light it up Wes. Maybe this will do as a substitute burnout. "Cept it ain't a burnout! Check out the tennies!

By weslake at 2012-04-06

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Its Preniss alright. Can't remember where I found it. Give me a minute and I'll see if I can shake my CRS. I was a big fan in the 60s. Whenever you heard they (and a few others) were running it was road trip time.

Still can't remember where I found that photo. But here's an interesting tidbit on the bike. Somewhere out in the garage I have the issue of Hot Rod magazine that features the bike when owned by Max Kelly. I'll have to find it and post it.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...LL05EW&usg=AFQjCNHekwWgyfrpVx4S4hXL69D2COLxrQ

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,536 ·
I was wondering how the restoration was coming along on that bike. I knew John had bought it but it has not come up in our correspondences in the last year. Good to know it is almost finished.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Here you go Wes. Hot Rod Nov. 1959.

By weslake at 2012-04-21

By weslake at 2012-04-21

By weslake at 2012-04-21

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,538 ·
This is news to me hoof. Did Max Kelly build the bike and later sell it to Scott? Did it run as a supercharged gas bike originally and Scott removed the blower and added nitro? I had never seen any features on it before Perry & Scott. Man, this thread has dug up a lot of interesting stuff for me.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
From what I know Max Kelly built the bike with a blower. Apparently Scott bought it minus the engines (for a reported $150) and put his own engines in and ran GPs set up for fuel. I saw it run many times as Perry and Scott but I never saw Max Kelly on it. But then in 1959 I was 14 years old and it wasn't easy getting to the races.

This is what happens when you drag old Hot Rod Mags around for 50+ years : - )

1521 - 1540 of 2955 Posts