Jockey Journal Forum banner
1341 - 1360 of 2955 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Funnily enough I did an article on Brian's bike for Big Bike magazine back in the mid 1970s. I remember at the time writing that Brian's whole bike probably only cost as much to build as the rear wheel assembly on Russ' triple Honda!
There was a different culture of low cost racing over here at the time, but things were changing fast, and the Japanese influence took over.
Maybe a cheap bike to build in parts...but $1M in talent.

Keith...you know I used to go no assignment with my Dad when he wrote for big bike ...great times, remember "Ask the Assassin".

·
Registered
194 Posts
Good looking Triumph drag bike on Ebay. Whats the history on the bike? I know the listing states that it was Routts last Triumph, but did it ever race? If it did who rode it and what was the ET? Did it ever win any races? There is also an on track pic in the listing. Is this pic of when the bike was raced? Did the bike ever get raced in its now customized form, or was it customized after retirement?
I'm not trying to start a pissing contest, I'm just curious with the history of the bike.
Wish I had the spare cash cause I'd buy it.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I saw this on the web a few years ago. There was no info with it and I'm curious to know if anyone knows anything about it.

By weslake at 2008-02-02

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thats wayne davis coyote triple engine kawasaki. he showed up at laplace dragway outside new orleans in 77 for the march dragbike meet the same time we ran out triple engined norton for the first time. he looped it on a burnout after grabing a handfull of front brake it cocked the front slick( had a very low profile slick on it then) and did a perfect wheel to wheel endo right over him but didnt really hurt much but the bars and such so he came over to our shop Performance cycle later that day and we helped him get it back up and ready but I dont think he ran it that weekend. He ended up painting and polishing it up very nicely and started showing it instead but I saw him at some idba meets he was a g reat guy but I dont remember seeing him running it again. Imagine me standing on the line watching another triple run for the first time and watch that endo occur I was 50 feet from it Tom laughlin might have gotten a shot of it .

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Thank you. I'd been curious for a while.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,350 ·
Thats wayne davis coyote triple engine kawasaki. he showed up at laplace dragway outside new orleans in 77 for the march dragbike meet the same time we ran out triple engined norton for the first time. he looped it on a burnout after grabing a handfull of front brake it cocked the front slick( had a very low profile slick on it then) and did a perfect wheel to wheel endo right over him but didnt really hurt much but the bars and such so he came over to our shop Performance cycle later that day and we helped him get it back up and ready but I dont think he ran it that weekend. He ended up painting and polishing it up very nicely and started showing it instead but I saw him at some idba meets he was a g reat guy but I dont remember seeing him running it again. Imagine me standing on the line watching another triple run for the first time and watch that endo occur I was 50 feet from it Tom laughlin might have gotten a shot of it .
You are almost correct Allen. His name is BOB Davis and he is from Ohio. I never saw this bike run but what an awesome machine it is. He built it about the time Collins crashed A,T,&SF, a bike he emulated using, as you said, Kawasaki 900 engines instead of Honda 750s. Bob still owned it in 2006 and displayed it at the Bowling Green Reunion.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Maybe a cheap bike to build in parts...but $1M in talent.

Keith...you know I used to go no assignment with my Dad when he wrote for big bike ...great times, remember "Ask the Assassin".
I think Brian showed, like a number of others, that you could wring amazing performance from humble engines, given time and application.

I do remember the Assassin columns in Big Bike.

Riding Hood: Not sure that I have the article handy, but I do have a problem with posting items that are not entirely mine, due to copyright concerns. Many people are not bothered, but as a working photographer who has encountered a number of copyright breaches regarding my own work, I do respect others work, which I hope you understand.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Keith ,Yep I understand ,thanks for letting me know .
Cheers R
PS if you end up finding the Big Bike article on Brian Chapman's bike can you give me the mag number ,the month and year then I can hunt around for a copy ,thanks R
Luckily I have a note of the magazine, because it is much too cold at the moment to venture into the loft, as winter has finally arrived.
The article is in the June 1975 issue of Big Bike magazine.

Regards, Keith

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Got a question. For a long time I've wondered about the timing on something like a double engined Triumph for instance. I've heard stories of them spitting primary chains due to the firing sequence being all wrong. I'm assuming its set up by degrees. Anybody know the correct set up?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hoofhearted.......

When I was working for Dwain Taylor At T&M Triuimph in Albany Georgia, he ran a twin engined Triumph in the 50's and 60's. I joined up with them in the early 60's. At the time we were not running the auto advance in the mags. At times while push starting the "Duece", one of the cylinders would try to backfire, and the chain connecting the two engines would bust, and here was this chain almost 7' long flying out the back of the machine where we were pushing...Got kinda hairy for a while. As soon as we went to the auto advance mechanism, all of that stopped. No more busted primaries. Now, as far as the timing, we tried all sorts of combos, and everyone agreed that the combo that worked the smoothest, was a 1-3-4-2. In other words, if you were sittting on the bike, first front left cylinder, then right rear cylinder, then left rear cylinder, then right front cylinder. That was back in the 60's. Dwain donated the bike to the Triumph guys in Baltimore in about '67, or '68. When Triumph went belly up, the bike was shipped to England, and was supposedly put in a museum of some kind. No one seens to know what happened after that. Billy Denby was the only pilot for the Duece, and he is still alive, and has a transmission shop in Tallhassee Fla. Dwain is also still with us and lives part of the time in Albany Ga., and part time on his Yacht in the Fla panhandle.

Here is a shot of "The Duece"

Dusty

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Dusty, Thanks very much for that. I was always curious as to the set up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
When I was working on Jeter Cornets twin sportster we lost a primary chain on startup due to the timing being a bit advanced on the front engine.After that we took GREAT care to be sure the advance was set the same in both engines and had no further problems.That bike ran the then normal fixed advance fairbanks mag on both engines. I always expected a lot more trouble than we had with the primary drive on that bike.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Here is something I know you guys will enjoy seeing, which I saw on another site.
It is some rare cine film of old British sprinting from the 1960s.
In amongst the bikes is EJ Potter himself at Santa Pod, which brought back great memories for me. Enjoy the Michigam Madman in action.

1341 - 1360 of 2955 Posts