Jockey Journal Forum banner
1181 - 1200 of 2955 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
You'd think a kid this young would be playing Army or catching frogs with his buddies.
Funny that. My pops started sending me up the side of mountains on a highly modified kz650 hill climber at the tender young age of 12 yrs old. Some 35 years later, there are still parts of me that are tender as a result.

Here is another picture I found in my e-travels

Hope its not a repost

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Funny that. My pops started sending me up the side of mountains on a highly modified kz650 hill climber at the tender young age of 12 yrs old. Some 35 years later, there are still parts of me that are tender as a result.

Here is another picture I found in my e-travels

Hope its not a repost
That's Bob George and his Double Knucklehead, this was in the late sixties...Bob wasn't very successful with this Bike but it was a beauty...

Bob was more known for his Bonneville success with a Streamliner...he was the first to build Cylinders that were water cooled...

He lived in California and Irwidale Raceway, CA was his home track...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Nice old magazine cover from Calkin's link featuring our own GrandDaddy Joe Smith
Yep, it was called the Big Three, my Double Harley, Russ Collin's Triple Honda and TC's Double Norton...

It was a funny day, took place at a Photo Studio in Hollywood, Ca...All three of us wanted to be the bike in the Center but because Collin's bike was so long, the picture only look right with it in the center...

If I remember we all three wanted to be the last to show and we all pulled in about the same time...

But it was a big day for all three...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Allen Mavor here its time to jump in the mix. I was fortunate to have been involved with the performance cycle norton triple from 77 to 1980 I worked there from 72 to 85. The owners where dave daley a old triumph fuel racer and Tracey Clouatre who was a old harley fuel racer both from the New Orleans area. Dave is the primary builder of the Triple I assisted in its construction but Dave daley was the main builder . TC Christenson now owns it and drags it around to shows but it will never run again I worked up there 2 years ago and tried hard to get it revived but thats another story for another time. I got my top fuel license back in 75 we bought and raced TC high gear bike for two years then ran the triple starting in march of 77 it was not called the triclops that name was hung on it by Dt Howard who owned it between Tom Loughlin and TC. Both jumping Joe Thronson who had two different twin engine sportys and Anson Holly (campy)who built a side by side big twin sporster signed off on my license back then. I got a few other twins to add to your list frank and I have some great old photos running against joe and marion and mr trett I will post some of these as we continue. allen

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just love the multi-engined bikes.
I remember John telling me that they were working on a triple engined Hogslayer, which was never completed, but a lot of people seem to have got their facts wrong on this bike.
What was the best time you managed to run on the triple Alan?

·
Registered
68 Posts
we built it with a 8 inch slick and one of john gregorys 2 speed overdrive trannies in it with 750 cc atlas based motors with sifton a grind cams and mc forged pistons it used the old style lucas mags at the rear. It had trouble putting down the power it had ran some 8.60s like that. The next year we widened the rear of the frame put a 10 inch tire and a b&J overdrive tranny in it and a set of wheelie bars and used a 900 cc sleeved bore kit 850 cylinders on top of the thin bored atlas cases. we cracked those early cases like cocoanut shells as well as plenty trouble that year with the arias pistons used but it did run a stack of 8.0s. it probably ran a 7.80 in gulfport on a test weekend but the crowd of drunks rushed the line and tripped the beams killing the et clocks I still got that guys picture beer in hand no shirt jumping thru the beams. The next year we stuck stock 850 barrels on it with mr norris cams with the later 850 super strong cases and it settled into a low 8s like a stocker never took them apart again. cast pistons worn bores 96% with propalene. It would carry the wheel a few hundred feet and drive down in a three foot corridor . It was a pleasure to drive give you a woodie and a grin.

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
Just love the multi-engined bikes.
I remember John telling me that they were working on a triple engined Hogslayer, which was never completed, but a lot of people seem to have got their facts wrong on this bike.
What was the best time you managed to run on the triple Alan?
Just to put it out there I know of three doubles being built not counting the one Im gathering parts for, hope to get them back on the track again
soon.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's great to have you join us Allen. I look forward to your future posts.
I got a bit of trouble figuring this site out it was easier to set up the slider and fuel curve but as I figure it out I will add some insight from my glory days. another multi engine harley that not to many people knew about was a twin engine rig built by jerry branch way back in 1950. He was inducted into the ama hall of fame back in 2005 the same year tc was so we attended even thou we where dealing with the aftermath of katrina . The brochure for the event had a picture of him with a double with a panhead and a knuckle in a stretched frame bike. we spent hours with him that day and talked about him racing jack wilson back then for 100.00. I asked him why he had two different motors in it . He stated allen it was 1950 I only had one panhead they where brand new. what a great man he was retired at the time mikuni had bought his business but he was as sharp as a tack and told great stories about building test bikes for harley for the magazine test. he talked about his red book of cam combos he had worked when the new evo had come out . He was giving it to people at the time. One of the promo guys from harley freaked out and made him put a price on it. He made a few hundred thou on it and was still amazed it had so much value. he giggled when he recounted the story. talk about a living legend . allen.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I went north and worked for TC back in nov 09 for about 4 months. The 3 engine frame they built is hanging in the rafters it probably only had enough room for a 6 inch wheel back there maybe a 8 but doubtful. It is built very similiar to the layout on the big wheel twin they had so much success with. I photographed the inside that shop before and after I rearranged it plenty history in it found a recapped 19 inch slick and a brand new carlisle 4 inch slick and tons of old norton race parts. 2- 850 short rod motors smuggled out the factory still with packing peanuts down in them the race shop guys gave them when they where racing over there. lots of old british hiperformance parts but not much happens in that shop anymore just memories. I owned the high gear twin we bought from tc after racing it and it held the ihra mph record at 181 back in 1971 and at the same time I had bought borris murrays twin with the lenco and 6 inch tire that held the nhra record that same year. I bought it from duke macdonald in 85 but sold it back when he came to me telling me borris would like it back. I sold the hogslayer 1 to a german guy who also bought my mocked up double blown triumph v 4 motor package. it would have worked well and been very small and light I just realized the jig was up and built a blown suzuki a few years later. somebody could probably buy that frame from tc and put together the bike that almost was. allen

·
Registered
25 Posts
I apprenticed under Keith Ruxton while he was here inIowa and helped hand wrenches to Terry Noth when he was resurrecting his old fuel bike a few years back for "Sturgis on the River" have some pics on my profile and will try to get them to load on the thread...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sledgehammer, haven't heard that name in quite awhile...When I went to Indy in 74 with my new Double King Rat and won Top Fuel, setting new ET and Speed Records, I remember there was an Article written by I can't remember who but he referred to my Double as the Sledgehammer...always thought that was a cool name but chose the "Double King Rat" instead...

1181 - 1200 of 2955 Posts