Jockey Journal Forum banner
1001 - 1020 of 2955 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Amen Frank. I've been trashing all day to get my ironhead fueler ready for next weekend. These things were meant to be used, not male jewelry. I feel the same way about my hot rods. Drive em,drive em, drive em.
Really looking forward to seeing Goliath the best looking double ever built.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,002 · (Edited)
Thanks Frank for starting tihs thread, and all that keep it going. It's one of the big reasons I check in daily. I love all the history you and Joe Smith post, especially the stuff on Borris Murray.
Here you are Dean. More from the Bowling Green Reunion.

From left: Duke Mc Donald, Boris Murray, me, Bob Ables, Dave Campos, Bob Mauriello, Larry Welch.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,003 · (Edited)
This flyer is advertising teenager T/F Motorcycle phenom John Dixon as one of the stars of the class.....and this was in 1972. He was only 19 years old but a veteran rider of 5 years and already making an impact with his innovations. He will not post here (I have tried to get him to tell us some stories but he hasn't so far although he does look) so this is the first of many posts I will make on his behalf and show those who are not familiar with his name what a brilliant representative of the class he was.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
A mutual friend (and my boyhood hero), "Super Fred" Smith, had been trying to get a hold of Glenn Kerr via email for a while and wasn't having any luck so he asked could I help. I emailed Glenn's nephew, Dwayne, and got a real nice response and a trip down memory lane. Glenn's doing fine, btw, he's just had computer problems.

I got busy as hell here and kinda forgot, but this morning I remembered and forwarded Dwayne's email to Fred. I hit "send," got up and headed for the shop, and within 3 steps my phone was ringing. It was Glenn, out of the blue. I hadn't seen or talked to Glenn in 35 years. Blew me completely away. We had a great conversation. He's got his single pretty much done and plans on getting after the double pretty hard.

He says he'll definitely make Skinner's deal next year, and he got pretty perky when I told him about Skinner's upcoming Southern Illinois race, so hopefully he'll make that.

Yeah, I know I'm a nerd, but this call made my day...especially with the timing of it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,006 · (Edited)
MEMORIES OF "THE FREIGHT TRAIN"

We are now up to my very first post of this thread and the video I posted. As I write this I have mixed feelings. I have wonderful memories of that Summer day in 1984 at Farmington and my match race with John Sands on his awesome Honda Fuel Bike. We had not known each other long but it would turn into a friendship that would last for 30 years until his passing last year. That is the other part of my mixed feelings....losing a friend. Back then he was Johnny Sands and I was Frankie Spittle....the Frankie & Johnny feud on the track. Just a part of the great memories of "The Freight Train". Here is the link if you would like to watch it again.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It takes a very special racer to get a full cover on Motor Cyclist magazine. Our own Joe Smith is one of those special racers.
Yes I was very lucky to be at the Top of Top Fuel Motorcycle at the time when the Big Magazines were putting us on Front Cover...I was on five or so in the seventies as well as some of the Foreign Magazines, though I have few of them myself...

One of the Proudest I was Front Cover was the NHRA National Dragster when they were doing "Drag Racing Profiles"...I was the first Motorcycle Drag Racer to get that honor...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Gents, I was searching and I may have missed it, but during the reign of the Triumphs, what were the consistent ET's of the single 650's? (non-Turbo/supercharger) Much has been talked about the double motor pre-units, but I was wondering about the unit motors.

This thread is so absolutely awesome, Ryan should look into a dedicated "Jockey Dragster" site... and have these legends on here run it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,010 ·
Arno St. Denis was one of the best on single engine Triumph Fuel Bikes and he reads this thread. I believe he ran 9 second times in the 140s. Maybe he will answer your question. Thanks for your kind comment.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Frank,

Thanks, It would be great for him to chime in. I have a '66 T120 I built (not a drag bike) and I love the history of those bikes and how they dominated in there era. My god, 9's with a single 650! A nice story and and a run down of parts, tricks to achieve that would be unreal. Just like the great stories and pics on here.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just wondering how the second Vintage Nationals race went off on Saturday.
Anybody got any pictures from the event?
I checked the Drag Strip Web Site and no mention of it plus there was a big turn over in Management at the same time...Every body that worked the strip quit according to their Web Site and Forum...

But I guess we won't know until we hear from the man himself...

·
Registered
74 Posts
In response to BHEAD1968, while wrenching at T&M Triumph in Albany GA. in the early 60's, Billy Denby was the rider for Dwain Taylor, the builder of several fast Fuel Bikes. "Grandma" was the name of the single engine 650 Triumph Drag bike that ran consistently in the low 10's at 135 plus. At the Daytona drag strip in 1963 Billy ran a 10.1, at 139.5. That was the best time "Grandma" ever ran. It ran a 2 speed modified Triumph transmission, and 50% Nitro. I remember once when we had a crankcase explosion about 40 feet off the starting line. There were parts scattered everywhere. Probably by design, but every time I saw a Triumph (Pre-unit) blow up, it was on the timing chest side... I have posted pictures earlier of "Grandma", and the "Deuce", the twin engine job. Those were the good ol' days....

Dusty

·
Registered
268 Posts
I hope they have a great premiere for the Hogslayer film tonight in Wisconsin.
Would love to be there - but 4000 miles each way is a long way to travel!
Looking forward to seeing the DVD when it is released. The trailer was brilliant, and I am sure director Jim Cutting's efforts will be appreciated by all who see the completed film.
I'm sure my bit of footage will look a lot better then it ever did from my old super 8 camera!
It will bring back some great memories from a golden time of racing.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just wondering how the second Vintage Nationals race went off on Saturday.
Anybody got any pictures from the event?
Sorry to be so long posting ,but my" two tin cans and a string" internet has been down. The Vintage Nationals was a DISASTER. Yes there was a management implosion at the track, they did not do any of the advertising they were contracted to do, and the racer turnout was horrible. Of the people that came ,they all saw it on JJ. No other advertising or forum posts producted any results. How can I be so sure? Because the crowd was small enough to personally talk to everyone( maybe a dozen or dozen and a half). I felt especially sorry for Lee Wickstrom who brought the Knuckledragger all the way from Minn. but he got in a lot of passes.
This was a humiliating defeat for Wayne and myself but as racers you know the first thing you learn is how to lose without quitting. It's either that or we're too stupid to quit, not sure which. Wayne is still working on a schedule for next year.
Let the I told you so's flow.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The last time I talked to Wayne, I suggested a few tracks, not knowing how far away he was. Great Lakes Dragaway-Union Grove, WI, Cordova Dragway Park-Cordova, IL, and Byron Dragway-Rockford, IL. They all have great nostaglia events already. Eddyville Raceway Park-Eddyville, IA might work too. It's owned by the same guy as Cordova, and it's 1/8th mile. He also runs Cedar Falls Raceway-Cedar Falls, IA. Two little Missouri 1/8th mile outlaw tracks that I used to live near, and I think would fit the bill, are in Bethany and Cameron. Another such track in Humbolt, IA too. But, those are my home tracks, and quite a stroll from Ohio!

I wasn't sure if Wayne has talked to the LowBrow Customs boys yet. I think they could be a GREAT help!

·
Registered
388 Posts
well we were all having or own computer issues,Im just up after a crash the week before meet. yes was a bad meet to far away and I know track did not help to get locals, I asked many folks before I left town. The local harley shop had there yearly event same day and had 3000 people there 20 minuts from track I stopped and talked to people and not one of them even heard many said they would liked to have been there. But lesson learned. So Im gonna load up my bikes and take them to tracks by don and lee and a few others who have supported and race, show what were trying to do. almost any track has bike nite at least once a year so Ill try and hit those. Just have to regroup. but its not over. yes theres folks that maybe can help promote but what we need is vintage dragbikes and owners that want to still run them. Oh and by the way M&H tire had fire at there factory but tires might be out next week. Ill see you at the track and see were this leads to.But still got to see a 47 double carbed knuck run on alky,and the Ray bulluci triumph from the 60s. cool

1001 - 1020 of 2955 Posts