Jockey Journal Forum banner

2941 - 2949 of 2949 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
John,
I read thru your build posts on "Motorcycle Vintage Eccentrics" and all I can say is WOW! Fixing one problem to have several new ones crop up. I know that feeling. Your workmanship and attention to detail is evident. I have not heard of plumbing up two parallel fuel systems (alcohol and nitro) to start and then run a bike. Seems like a lot of extra plumbing. My experience is to use an alcohol spray can to start/warm the engine and then again to clean out the nitro after warming/testing. You and Alp definitely know what you're doing on fuel engines, it just seems really different to me. Ed

·
Registered
943 Posts
I found a copy of the "Northeast Ohio Motorcycle News from 1988 in my stuff. This copy focused on the U.S. Open Nationals.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ed,
The alky sprayer will just make it easier for me. The 4 intakes would be difficult to keep up with using a spray can. With a separate fuel setup I can keep it running on alky longer to double check everything out. If it doesn't sound good I can shut it down without a nitro cleanup.
I though this thread had just about expired so I started this one.https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214808

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks John,
I read your double engine thread and now understand your need for two systems. I'm used to mine, which uses a common blower for all intakes. Makes it much easier to use a spray can. As for phasing two nitro engines, I think it is almost impossible to get them exactly timed together. You're faced with set number of teeth on a sprocket (or teeth on a pulley in my case) and it may not allow you the flexibility to get them exact. In my case I run the front engine one pulley tooth ahead of the rear (Kevlar belt). The idea is to prevent hunting and have the lead always slightly tugging the rear. So far it has worked on the stand, but unproven on the track. My big problem is the fuel system. Trying to not get it too lean, so as to backfire and not too rich, so as not to hydraulic. Gets expensive.
Ed

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
The advice "never trust a fart" becomes a lot more cogent when the source is a guy who works with nitromethane fuel.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ed, I would be lost in the big league today with nitro and would never trust myself or these motors with a big load of the stuff. Actually my goal is to take it to a cackle show occasionally.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ed,
Are you compaigning your double? My project is crude compared to todays doubles. Some day your double will be a classic, then vintage as well. The important part of the old bikes is that the history always stays with them. Plus getting to meet some of the coolest guys around. Guys like my friend John here who just passed away. A genius at building, teaching and always helping anyone who asked.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Darn, I know who that is but I just can't dig the name out of my head...actually the face looks like Bob Braverman who haunted Irwindale in "The Day" and was well known to Boris Murray...

I'm trying to locate Ray Masten "pictured" in connection with his old bike. I've restored it as much as possible.
Now waiting for the magnetos to be rebuilt by Hunt Magnetos. He posted about this bike a few years ago but
has since changed his contacts info. Any help would be appreciated.

2941 - 2949 of 2949 Posts