Jockey Journal Forum banner

2921 - 2940 of 2949 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,921 ·
Clem Johnson will forever be remembered for his superior engineering skills and cleanliness. That photo of him doing between round maintenance have both on full display. He looks like he could begin heart surgery on someone.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,922 ·
HAPPY 90th BIRTHDAY PIONEER TOP FUEL MOTORCYCLE LEGEND JOE SMITH. YOU WILL ALWAYS BE MY HERO!!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
ok here is three more of me on three different top fuel bike from 1994.

Scott Commins 1994 Winternationals.jpg
Photographer: Jon Van Daal.
Me riding at the 1994 Winternationals at Willowbank Australia
Had an engine parts failure and did not get to complete qualifying.
One failure was just after the burnout in Q1 so I did not get to stage but got it running for Q2.
The second failure happened in the second half of the track of Q2 and the bike only run on one cylinder for the rest of the run for an 8.8 pass for 8th spot.
Was not possible to get ready for Q3 or racing.
Good example of that's not racing but what I got for trying.

Scott Commins 1994 Canberra Eighth Mile.jpg
Picture from Ozbike Magazine Issue 97.
Me riding at the 26 November 1994 Canberra 1/8th mile Australia
The meeting was a times trials day and not elimination racing. I did four runs of a 5.41/144 mph, 6.06/87mph, 5.19/145mph & a 5.12/146mph.

1994 Spingnationals Adelaide International Raceway. Bill Curry ( left lane ) vs Scott Commins ( .jpg
Picture from Dragster Magazine No. 402 November 11, 1994.
Bill Curry (left lane) vs Me (right lane)
1994 Springnationals Adelaide Internationals Raceway (1/4 mile)
It was the first time I run the bike and clutch parts. I set the bike and clutch a little better each go during qualifying to a best of 7.68 for number 2 qualifying spot but the last adjustment I put into the clutch for first round of racing once running ready to go would not let the clutch engage. Bill got the win. Good example of that's not racing but what I got for trying.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,929 ·
Today is the 24th anniversary of the death of Elmer Trett at the NHRA U.S. Nationals. I was there and wrote about my memories of that tragic day on this thread post 2762. As the years pass it doesn't get any easier. I sure do miss being around him. We know his legend as a racer but he was also a great friend and a lot of fun to be around.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Zeeman, in your post #2907: Can you tell/d'you know, are the engines in the still image three RD twins, or three Kawa triples, or ... what? Whatever, I have trouble imagining the noise that bike must have made.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Five pictures of vintage fuel bikes taken at the 2019 and 2020 Mancup World Finals. The Collins triple was taken in 2019 and the frame was only tack welded at the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
It's been a while since I posted anything. For the past couple of years I've been restoring this Triumph double between other projects and it's finally coming together. It was a fuel bike and the motors show the battle scars from those days. It's taken quite a lot of welding and machining to get the cases in shape.
This photo shows the final mockup and now is disassembled and checked out before the final assembly.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Nice looking vintage dragbike John. Do you know the bike's history? Do you intend to conduct exhibition runs? The fuel system looks interesting, can you describe how it works? Thanks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Boris Murray told me was built for Sonny Routt. Sonny said it was too light and sold it through Kosman to Ray Masten who I bought it from about 15 years ago.
The fuel system is Hilborn pump to Offy 105 throttle bodies. Not sure how it was plumbed back when it ran so what you see is just a mock. You are probably curious about the plumbing connected to the near side fuel tank. In theory it will be used for starting.
I don't see it running at a track soon but we'll see.

2921 - 2940 of 2949 Posts