Jockey Journal Forum banner
2581 - 2600 of 2955 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
John Stein is a customer and personal friend. That drag racing book he "plugs" was a labor of love he wrote and published on his own dime and so far I think has made about $50 bucks on it. He is a gentleman and enthusiast of the highest caliber and has done the motorcycle drag racing and the motorcycle communites a great service by writing it.

So here is my plug, go buy the book and don't worry when a guy plugs something worthwhile.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Reading the post by "Alsledgehammer" about the drilling for making the bike lighter. I worked for Dwain Taylor back in the early 60's, and we did a lot of drilling also. We drilled all of the engine bolts, head bolts and all. We chucked them up in a lathe and drilled them from the bottom up. We didn't go through the head of the bolt. While in place you couldn't tell they had been drilled. We also drilled the cooling fins of the cylinders. About 50, 3/8" holes were drilled straight down through the cylinders fins. It was very hard to see these holes while the heads were on. On "The Deuce", which was the twin engined fueler, Dwain figured with all of the holes we cut about 40-50 lbs off of the bike. "Grandma", which was a single engine fueler we only saved about 15 lbs. Even the brake backing plates were drilled. Dwain's shop, T&M cycles was in Albany GA. which was where Turner AFB was, and as most of the shop guys were in the Air Force there, guess who furnished all the drill bits and special aluminum fab'd parts???

Someone mentioned that those days of our youth drag racing bikes in the late 50's, early 60's was a special time, and we didn't realize it until now. I was 20 years old when I started with Dwain, and a few years ago we had a shop reunion and everyone felt the same way, that we had really been doing something special back then. I just turned 73 last week, and it still seems like yesterday we were dragging those bikes all over the southeast racing, and having the times of our lives....We were Kings and didn't even know it!!!!

Dusty

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,583 ·
I will turn 71 in a few months Dusty. I was at a show last weekend in Charlotte and got to see a lot of old gray haired friends. We got to talking about the good old days and how we worked two jobs to do the things we wanted to do (one of the jobs was doing the things we wanted to do but racing was a job we loved) and how much different the world was back then. Most of us had a mother and father figure that straightened our asses up if we did the wrong thing. We weren't too afraid to go anywhere we went. It didn't take much money to live and life was good.

We believe we lived in the greatest years in the history of our country and are damned glad that's when we came along.

·
Registered
108 Posts
When I hear mention of the " good 'ol days "... Mine were the early '70s when the State Troopers in Rockland County, NY would close off Rt. 17 near Sloatsburg and allow a couple "test runs" on the current record holding AA Mod. Gas XL that Bob Mauriello built and was ridden' by Steve "Bird" Parker. It's probably illegal in NY to even think of such things today.:(
I was lucky enough to have a spin on that. My spindly 130# body was 40# lighter than Steve so they figured they could give me a shot. The shop went belly up and I never rode it on the strip. I think I'm still alive for that reason. I stopped working in bike shops and got into tool & die making.

Shameless plug. I just got John Steins book and it's highly recommended.
A coffee table book on steroids with lots of great pics and info. Worth every penny ! :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Here are a couple newsprint pictures/articles that I received from Norman Hyde. He ran single and double engine trident based dragbikes back in the seventies. His engines were 970 cc. The double started carbureted and eventually went to supercharged. The bike has since been dismantled and sold off. Norman has a website that still sells speed parts for Meridian and Hinckley Triumphs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
cool little blurb on one of the most famous drag bikes ever...the current caretaker plugs his book a little at the end...but worth it was worth it for me to have a look at the bike close up once more ... I did get to see it at art of the motorcycle back in 09....but in case you guy's did not.....

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/histori...190034322.html
Nice article about one hell of a dragbike!
I really got a kick out of the photo of the pit crew mixing up the nitro-blend in a wine bottle :).

Geo.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,592 ·
I am hoping to have time to go to the NHRA Bowling Green Reunion in June. If I do I will take the Freight Train. I believe there are plans to spotlight drag bikes at the NHRA Bakersfield Reunion this fall. I will post info here as soon as it is released. I will most likely fly there because of the time and cost of driving.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I am hoping to have time to go to the NHRA Bowling Green Reunion in June.
May as well stay for the Only Harley [only] Drags later in June.
BTW I have Not seen a Date Yet. for the Hot Rod Reunion.
Course....The NHRA Needs all the $$ They can get now that the Shiek Pulled the Pin.....

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,595 ·
Frank
The PIC of John Steins bike at Pebble Beach is next to a rocket bike. Would that possibly be Dixon's old rocket bike?
Rocky
1957S/VG
Rocky.
The two rockets engines are the same ones John Dixon borrowed from Larry to build his bike. After he crashed he gave the engines back to Larry who finished building the bike those engines were originally for. Everything is new and ready to take someone crazy on a 300 mph 1/4 mile pass. Larry says there is no doubt it can be done. It is for sale.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,597 ·
Saw on the Jalopy Journal that Jerry Magnuson passed away. He will always be remembered as the guy who played a hand in the transition from multi-engine Top Fuel motorcycles to supercharged single engine bikes when he produced a supercharger perfect for the job. There has been much discussion on this thread about Ron Teson's ground breaking Honda and how it single handedly changed the class in just a year or two in the late '70s. Another T/F legend gone.

This is my bike in 1979 with one of his MagnaCharger blowers. R.I.P Jerry

Attachments

·
Registered
737 Posts
Steve Reyes should get his facts straight before setting miscellanous thoughts in motion. Larry never owned a twin engine Triumph, but he did ride Sonny Routt's double while working at Routt's shop all the while campaigning his sportster Jr Fuel.
Rocky
1957 S/VG
1959 B/MG

2581 - 2600 of 2955 Posts