Jockey Journal Forum banner
2521 - 2540 of 2955 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Larry probably when that fast on Heavy Trip 1 with no safety gear, helmet or gloves at Atco. When the bike was retreived at the far end the rotors were blue and cracked while the local cops wanted to take the bike they ran when told it could blow if not cleaned and flushed

·
Registered
215 Posts
terrible news to post but i just got info that boris murray the greatest racing competitor and match race partner i i ever had pass on this afternoon...this is a picture as i knew boris, the relaxed racer with his then wife helen...rest in peace old friend. A LOT ON MY TIME LINE ON FACE BOOK...

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Sad, sad news. I never knew him. Just through photos and what I read. But he was (and still is) a hero to me. His bravery and skill were unquestionable. My sincere condolences to his wife and family. Our world is that little bit darker.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,527 · (Edited)
This is news we all knew was coming but hard to accept. He and Joe Smith were the very best at one time and thrilled thousands of drag racing fans with their T/F bikes at NHRA events as well as Bowling Green. That tire smoking, wheel standing, record setting run at BG will forever be a part of his legacy. He was at the top of his game his entire career and when his bike could no longer be competitive he retired. We have had some truly exceptional T/F motorcycle racers over the last 50 years and he is a member of that elite group. This is one of my favorite shots. If you enlarge the picture you can see his unconcerned look even though he is smoking the tire completely sideways.

My condolences to his family

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Very sad news about Boris.
He was a great racer, and bike builder.
One of the real iconic racers in drag bike history has passed, but some stunning pictures of him in action will serve as an ongoing reminder of the man himself.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,531 ·
Heard the news about Boris from Bob Chantland. I stayed with Boris and Helen when we had races in California. He was a great contributor to our sport and a good friend and he went so quick and fast I had to build a double to beat him.
Great to have you join us Jim. Your double Harley was one of the first and one of the fastest.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry to hear the terrible news I had the pleasure of meeting Borris in memphis in 1978. He had the Denco triple he was parked in line with the track and we had the norton triple parked about 20 feet away we talked norton for about 20 minutes he was cool friendly and respectful I was a 25 year old rookie. They where filming shots there I believe for any sunday 2 so somewhere some good take out film exist? I owned his triumph twin in 85-86 and sold it back to duke mcdonald when he told me borris would like it back. It was never returned and turned into a dirt drag bike Joe Smith posted a picture of borris and the dirtbike after I commented on it . The owner of performance cycle (Dave Daley-Tracey Clourtre) both old fuel racers told me about the fuel meet hosted in Houma LA back in 1971 and after having some snafu on the starting line lights agreed to a rematch that borris won and where honored to have been beat by him. Small world that it is my old suzuki dragbike i built in 84 85 ended up in borris ownership 10 years later(small act of contrision on dukes part) and he rebuilt it and raced it in new mexico with his son I was told . I saw a shot of it didnt look much like it was when I had it . If this message ends up twice its cause this site is much more sophisticated than my ability. Godspeed Borris you didnt know what a thing of beauty you where the smoking tire wheelie shot it is my altime fav. allen mavor

·
Registered
2,655 Posts

·
Registered
2,655 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
The Manning-Murray machine I read somewhere used Boris' Triumph engines while the Manning / Gulf liner used Nortons.
Dennis Manning loaned that nose mold for the Norton machine to Al Teague for 'The Spirit of 76' streamliner that held the land speed record for over ten years.

2521 - 2540 of 2955 Posts