Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 19 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I might go back a bit too far. This is one of my all time bike heroes.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
When I was in my teens I had a crappy BSA that I rode miles to see Clem Johnson and his Vincent. That bike always amazed me.

This is in a friends shop. He has never tod me about it as I don't think he knows its history. Stretched featherbed with two 750 Commandos. AMC trans with a Sportster clutch adapted to it. He's thinking of turning it into an LSR bike. Sure hope he does as he wants me to ride it.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I saw this on the web a few years ago. There was no info with it and I'm curious to know if anyone knows anything about it.

By weslake at 2008-02-02

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Thank you. I'd been curious for a while.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Got a question. For a long time I've wondered about the timing on something like a double engined Triumph for instance. I've heard stories of them spitting primary chains due to the firing sequence being all wrong. I'm assuming its set up by degrees. Anybody know the correct set up?

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Dusty, Thanks very much for that. I was always curious as to the set up.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I know this isn't vintage fuel bikes but it is vintage. About 1:40 in there is a couple of minutes of E.J. Potter. Some of the better footage I've seen. Apart from seeing him at Fontana.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I found this photo years ago. No details with it.

By weslake at 2008-01-16

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
The pic posted by Dean Lowe, #1499. Perry & Lowe? The bike looks like a pair of 750cc Nortons on a stretched featherbed frame. Looks like the negitive is reversed.
I once owned a single engine 750cc Norton drag bike and I was told it was reitred to build a double. I never did find any history on the bike.
Funny thing. I was a friends shop yesterday and in the corner is a double Commando stretched featherbed that bears more than a passing resemblance to the above. We talked about it and the owner knows i go to Bonneville and El Mirage. The talk turned to turning it into an LSR bike. Take an awful lot but an intriguing idea.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
A few days ago a friend gave me a bunch of old magazines. This was in a mag called "Supercycle" dated Aug. '71. Thought it might be of interest.

By weslake at 2012-04-01

By weslake at 2012-04-01

By weslake at 2012-04-01

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I saw this at a vintage get together at Willow springs a few years ago. Pat Miller's Yamaha?

By weslake at 2010-04-25

By weslake at 2010-04-25

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
^^^ Love the riding position. Kinda rings a bell.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Shame you can't light it up Wes. Maybe this will do as a substitute burnout. "Cept it ain't a burnout! Check out the tennies!

By weslake at 2012-04-06

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Its Preniss alright. Can't remember where I found it. Give me a minute and I'll see if I can shake my CRS. I was a big fan in the 60s. Whenever you heard they (and a few others) were running it was road trip time.

Still can't remember where I found that photo. But here's an interesting tidbit on the bike. Somewhere out in the garage I have the issue of Hot Rod magazine that features the bike when owned by Max Kelly. I'll have to find it and post it.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...LL05EW&usg=AFQjCNHekwWgyfrpVx4S4hXL69D2COLxrQ

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Here you go Wes. Hot Rod Nov. 1959.

By weslake at 2012-04-21

By weslake at 2012-04-21

By weslake at 2012-04-21

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
From what I know Max Kelly built the bike with a blower. Apparently Scott bought it minus the engines (for a reported $150) and put his own engines in and ran GPs set up for fuel. I saw it run many times as Perry and Scott but I never saw Max Kelly on it. But then in 1959 I was 14 years old and it wasn't easy getting to the races.

This is what happens when you drag old Hot Rod Mags around for 50+ years : - )

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Humm, I will ask Scotty when I see him next month what the real story is, or what he can remember. I think he is 89 or 90 now.
When you see him could you ask him about the double Norton please? Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Great shot John. Do you know where that was taken?

Keith. Not that it helps much but a long as I've known it was Priness. I've seen Prentiss, Prentice, Printess over the years but as far as I know its Priness.

1 - 19 of 72 Posts