Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 18 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I recall running at the crappy little eighth-mile strip in Oxford Maine back in the early nineties where Pete Hill was the star of the show. His slick blacktracked from the starting-line to the finish-line. What I always remember about that knucklehead, besides having its own unique sound, was the huge diameter of the pushrods.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah, Mr. Spittle I'm aware of Mr. Prime, but I've never met him. A mechanic I used to work with, who was a little older than me, claimed to have helped him syncronize the two engines on his "double". My late buddy (the mechanic) was a pretty heavy alcoholic by this point, so I didn't put a lot of stock in most things said, although I'm not saying he didn't work on it. Rhode Island is such a small state that it's normal to know just about everyone who has the same interests, it's just that I was a little younger than those guys. This leads me to a question I've been wanting to ask for a while: what was the usual method of indexing the two motors together? They didn't fire simultaneously did they; I always figured they were as evenly spaced as possible. Oh yeah, the Motorcycle Warehouse (Framingham MA.) had a nitro shovel in the eighties and I think Dick Prime may have been the pilot, but I'm not sure. This is a great thread btw.
Jerry

·
Registered
81 Posts
Both of those Dishong drag machines were pretty sweet. How wild is that overhead-cam Pan motor? Does anyone remember the Panhead dragbike that Dick O'brien built; I think it was in an old issue of Hot Bike. The interesting thing about it was that it didn't have an oil-pump mounted on the engine, but instead used the transmission as a pump.
Jerry

·
Registered
81 Posts
As a native Rhode Islander I'll admit we're not recognized for a whole lot of positive attributes, but I have never heard a negative comment spoken about Dick Prime. He along with Jimmy King, Donnie Marshall, John Healy and Bill Lawton gave us motorheads a source of pride in this little state.

Thanks,
Jerry

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey RacePres, I know what you meant, I just wanted to use "construe" in a sentence. It's people like you that keep this Shit we love to do traveling in the right direction.
Jerry
Rhode Island

·
Registered
81 Posts
That's Ray Prices' blown Funny Bike he built in the late '70s or early '80s trying to compete with the new blown 4 cylinder bikes. During our conversation I recently posted here this bike was brought up. He said it made gobs of horsepower but couldn't finish a race due to something breaking.

Here's another picture of it.
I remember him running this bike at Connecticut Dragway in the eighties. I thought I posted some pictures from there on this thread, maybe it was a different thread. Always one of my all time raves.
Jerry
Rhode Island

1 - 18 of 21 Posts