Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 19 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
I remember Rocket filming JAWS arrival in Prince Georges County for his first time around with Sonny's video camera, not too long after the episode at Atco with rocket bike. I wonder if James Allen followed dad

·
Registered
737 Posts
Frank,
The Routt Triumph was owned and built by Sonny Routt and built and rode by larry "Rocket "Welch , Hyattsville , MD during its career as a Fuel Champ in 70's. Later in 73 or 76, Bob Mauriello from North new jersey ran a Sportster in B/Fuel while Larry fielded a fuel sporty and also drove the Routt Triumph at the same meets.
Ironwigwam
1957 S/VG

·
Registered
737 Posts
The track owners had originally given Larry permission to have the Rocket on display at starting line and was to be allowed to make one pass for the crowd . We ran his sportster while the crowd formed around the rocket all day. Later in the afternoon, NHRA gave the track owner a cease and desist if rocket bike ran, so he pulled plug on that idea. So all three of us walked up to the Rocket to put it away for the trip back to Hyattsville, when Larry sat on it, kicked the fuel valves open with his knees and did a tire smokin burn out with a 10 % water added to H2O2, it gave a strange eeary steam haze to the bike and the rest is history. At this point of the day, all fuel bikes were done running

·
Registered
737 Posts
Joe, The tires would smoke from being dragged into speed as they fought to catch up to the rocket thrust.Rocky. I haven't seen Larry since 1980? when Sonny Routt sold the double to Australia and moved to Palm Springs to play tennis,
Also at this time there was a tremendous pressure from federal authorities in Hyattsville, MD

·
Registered
737 Posts
Frank,
Is John Dixon active with this list or do you just get a chance to talk to him? I picked up one of his sportster slipper clutchs and have a few questions regarding the studs and springs.
Rocky
1957 S/VG

·
Registered
737 Posts
Larry probably when that fast on Heavy Trip 1 with no safety gear, helmet or gloves at Atco. When the bike was retreived at the far end the rotors were blue and cracked while the local cops wanted to take the bike they ran when told it could blow if not cleaned and flushed

·
Registered
737 Posts
This is for John Dixon in particular. I picked up 1/2 of one of your old slipper clutches and am looking for some info on spring sizes and rates and what size plate was the pressure plate and lastly, what about the stud sizes and lengths? I vaguely remember seeing one at Rocket Welch's shop in the 70's but a long time ago. Thanks in advance, Rocky

Attachments

·
Registered
737 Posts
Steve Reyes should get his facts straight before setting miscellanous thoughts in motion. Larry never owned a twin engine Triumph, but he did ride Sonny Routt's double while working at Routt's shop all the while campaigning his sportster Jr Fuel.
Rocky
1957 S/VG
1959 B/MG

1 - 19 of 20 Posts