Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thank you for sharing your video. Excellent! I remember seeing Elmer Trent on a twin engine H-D, Russ Collins, Sonny Routt, Boris Murray, T. C. Christensen and others. There was another guy named Chantland who raced Triumphs and also made 750cc cylinders for Triumphs. Also Joe Smith back when he had the single engine H-D. Once again thanks for the memories.
Do you still own the bike? It would be nice to know that it still exists.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Dusty, great story so be sure and share some more of those memories. That twin engine Triumph in the pic looks to have a 16 inch H-D rim on the back. Did they make slicks for that size rim? I remember the 4 X 18 inch Avon slicks but I don't remember a 16 inch slick.

·
Registered
194 Posts
It seems there is a lot of interest to dust off the old bikes and do some vintage drag racing. If the interest continues perhaps ARHMA or the AMA would be interested in becoming a sanctioning body. I have never had any dealing with either organization. Has anybody in JJ land ever had dealings with these groups and what is your opinion of these organizations.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Does anyone have a pre 2005 Kibblewhite catalog? In the catalog would be a pic of a Norton Atlas drag bike. I would like a copy of the pic. I am trying to identify an early Norton drag bike and am wondering if its the same bike. See my thread on helping me ID a Norton drag bike here on the JJ. Thanks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Frank, This is off topic. Currently does motorcycle drag racing have a sanctioning body? I know that the AMA is out except for setting rules and selling insurance. Also the NHRA has pro stock. But is there a sanctioning body for motorcycles and puts on events for motorcycles?
Great to hear about Korry Hogan and the speeds he doing. More importantly great to hear that he wasn't seriously injured.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have heard through the rumor mill that T. C. never raced the 3 engine Norton. Is this rumor true? I was told that the bike was built and raced by a guy in Louisiana and that T. C. bought it after the twin engine Norton went to England.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I just finished going through Drag Bike Racing in Britian by Keith Lee. All I can say is EXCELLENT! I have been around bikes all my life and I can't believe some of the engineering I see on these bikes. It makes me wonder what happened here in the US. Did the sanctioning bodies restrict a lot of experimentation?
Keith, I see many of the supercharged Triumphs had some sort of head supports. These are going from the top of the head to the block. Do you have any close up pics? I'm just curious of the set up.
Thanks for putting out such an excellent book.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Good looking Triumph drag bike on Ebay. Whats the history on the bike? I know the listing states that it was Routts last Triumph, but did it ever race? If it did who rode it and what was the ET? Did it ever win any races? There is also an on track pic in the listing. Is this pic of when the bike was raced? Did the bike ever get raced in its now customized form, or was it customized after retirement?
I'm not trying to start a pissing contest, I'm just curious with the history of the bike.
Wish I had the spare cash cause I'd buy it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The pic posted by Dean Lowe, #1499. Perry & Lowe? The bike looks like a pair of 750cc Nortons on a stretched featherbed frame. Looks like the negitive is reversed.
I once owned a single engine 750cc Norton drag bike and I was told it was reitred to build a double. I never did find any history on the bike.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Frank,
Great pics from Daytona. What kind of carb is being used on the Sportster. It looks like an Amal TT or GP with a Delorto remote float. If I remember most Harley-Davidson guys were using S & S carbs for drag racing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts