Jockey Journal Forum banner
101 - 120 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
It's probably tethered and they airbrushed it out later. There's a posed picture like that with several bikes in American Racer, another wicked book no diehard fan should be without.
It's probably propped up behind the rear corner.

Given the slower film speeds in the '20s, it's unlikely that anyone would have been able to take a moving shot like that without camera shake, blur, or distortion.

Still, a beautiful photo.

·
Registered
34 Posts
that's the one. i still have a little hope that he is actually riding. based on some really boring science behind photography that i won't completely get into. but the photographer must have his lens opened all the way to get such short depth of field, in turn he could be using a very high shutter speed. but yeah on a more interesting note, i'm in the process of using this photo as a base for my next tattoo, it's gonna cover my entire right ribcage.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Lillian Haver was a popular motor-lady from Milwaukee, pic is from 1917, in 1921 she had over 70.000miles on this bike..

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Couple more....only info I know about them: 2 factory racers, Jim Lusk and Kelly Cunningham (2 pics), and a speedway shot from 1937... dig it!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
"X-Games"Seriously, kudos for sharing all of those. Really great pictures, I love the old vintage pics. This one if from the back of my catalog. It's Bert Denley, possibly at the Isle of Man, in 1925.
Is it just me, or does anybody else think it's cool as hell that the grips of this particular RACING bike are worn right out?

-Kuda (now that's bad ass...)
'49 panchop

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I kinda miss the action/movement/speed in this pic...bike seems to be standing still and just "posin'"..
Not to be a buzz kill, but I do think it's posed. His left foot is forward, when it should be backward. And I do believe that switch in the left bar is a dead man switch, not a kill switch...

-Kuda (but I could be wrong on both counts...)
'49 panchop

101 - 120 of 160 Posts