Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im trying to get all the legal crap taken care of for my 70 TR6C. I'm pretty sure the numbers in my frame are hand stamped (im getting them redone so they arent so obvious) I checked with the PD & they said it comes up clear. I need to know what the VIN should look like. Not so much the visual but the content. I just want to make sure this number has the right amount of letters & numbers in the right place for what it is. Could anyone with a 70 TR6C tell me what the number should consist of?

ie "TR6C XX123 4567" ??

(anyone who feels the need to give me a lecture about illegit' numbers & all that bullshit - please refrain. i paid for the bike, its not stolen, i ran the numbers & it came up clean[no history])

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
sojerscraper said:
no shit? i didnt know they did any hand stamping on something as late as 1970. good advice wes, ill shoot a pic later & post it up. thanks -

yep ..

that's why there's often confusion as to how the number 'should' read .. the sequential number ( _D12345 ) may end up stamped ahead of the model ( T120R or TR6R ) .. because the machine wasnt pre-determined to be a Bonneville or a Tiger ..

interesting side note re hand-done .. the pinstriping along the tank scallops was done by hand on every machine, even the later ones ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
sojerscraper said:
that is pretty interesting.

do you guys know how the numbers on the motor should be layed out, especially in relation to the frame numbers? pics?

I meant to mention that too ..

you'll just as often find the engine # 'backward' .. i.e. BD12345 above TR6C ..

also a '70 engine will have the 'anti-theft' number pad, which consists of a bunch of very small Triumph logos stamped, that the number is stamped atop .. see, you cant grind down the pad without removing the logos ..

if you'd like, pm or e me your actual number, I'll date it a little closer & tell you some more details .. and I can send sample pix ..

Doug ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nice, you guys are hooking me up here. much appriciated.

i know the motor is earlier, more like a 67. at least the bottom half is. it had some hacked up numbers in it but my motor builder smoothed them out for me so we can put the numbers from the frame on the motor. it did not have the little logo stamps on it either.

as far as the frame goes, the big rectangle looks pretty straight so maybe the ol' brit fella stamping the numbers at the factory that day had a few too many brews at lunch. the numbers are kinda crooked & wobbly looking.

anyhow, ill post pics of the frame numbers and the motor case & hopefully we can make it look normal.

thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, i hope no one sees this does any sort of shady business with these but here goes it.

theres the frame & the motor as they sit. from the looks of it my frame was made november of 1970. im just wondering if the numbers on your frame look all wacky like these. i did notice they have a line running down the middle of them so maybe that was a 'counterfit blocker of some sort.

the motor had some funky numbers that did not match the frame. if i get the motor stamped like the frame, i should be straight, right?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
the frame numbers are righteous as rain, the cases I could spot a mile away as being ground off. If you brought it to my shop in Cali, i would sell you some new cases and we could title it mismatched, no worries. Chippies (CA Highway patrol, they do inspections) usually will shoot first and ask questions later. Most of the time they ask ME all the questions.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks wes, good to hear the frame is legit. ill probably just have my motor builder match the numbers & 'add' them to the case. the fuzz around here seems pretty mellow about bikes.

most of the cops in my area just pull us over to talk shop because they ride too. last time i got stopped for speeding, the guy regretfully wrote be a ticket but i really did deserve it. the speed triple is a little too speedy sometimes. anyhow, the cop was stoked about my bike but 1st said "is that thing supposed to look like that?" i cracked up - yep, the triple is the sexiest ugly bike youd ever see sir. then he said "triumph? who makes that? honda?" haha, i said no - triumph is the make sir - its british. he said "wow man, i didnt think britain made anything anymore" haha.

there are enough goobers on sportbikes around here with no taillights, doing wheelies through rush hour traffic to keep the fuzz off the backs off the custom folk.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.