Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has come up before, so apologies if it's tired - can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Looking at a 1960 FLH. The 6 in the year position is rounded (60FLHXXXX), yet the 6's in the actual vin are 'flat back'. Is that possible/normal? I always believed up to a certain year, all 6's were 'flat back', then they changed to rounded either late 60's or early 70's. Any insight appreciated. Hoping the answer will be that the Motor Co. mixed fonts, but the asking price is not bargain so I'm expecting the real deal...

Any help greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
7,825 Posts
Take a look at this recent thread on the AMCA forum:

Look at post #8 from Speeding Big Twin, it answers your question, however Eric is referencing a '62.

He is a member here and has a wealth of information when it comes to VIN's, I'm sure he'll chime in soon.

Do you have a picture of the VIN? Does it follow the odd/even rule? Have you checked the belly numbers? What is stamped near the rear motor mounts on each case, should be an H for the FLH.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take a look at this recent thread on the AMCA forum:

Look at post #8 from Speeding Big Twin, it answers your question, however Eric is referencing a '62.

He is a member here and has a wealth of information when it comes to VIN's, I'm sure he'll chime in soon.

Do you have a picture of the VIN? Does it follow the odd/even rule? Have you checked the belly numbers? What is stamped near the rear motor mounts on each case, should be an H for the FLH.
Really great response, thanks so much. For some reason I didn't take a picture. Belly numbers match and I could barely see the motor mounts (one slightly cracked). And it follows the odd/even rule. The bike looks legit - so close to original, motor sounds strong, started reasonably easy.... I want to believe it's all good, but the stamping with different 6's looked hinky.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sorry for the late response. SNs for 1960 Panheads began at 2000 and seem to have gone beyond 12900 but I don’t know by how much. Obviously the 13000 block of SNs was skipped. At least one publication says some were in the very low 14000 range but that has NOT been confirmed and said publication contains certain other H-D info which is known to be wrong.

For 1960 Pan SNs at least two 6s and at least two 0s were used in the year portion. Judging by my photo collection thus far the first combination seems to have been a straight-back 6 and an oblong-shaped 0. These two characters normally look like they were done with separate stamps as shown below.

But apparently that set-up didn’t last long and things changed while SNs were still very low. The second combination usually consists of a round-back 6 and a rounded 0. These two characters normally look like they were done with a tandem stamp and this combo may have then continued for the rest of the 1960 model year.

In the sequence portion for 1960 Pan SNs the 6 usually has a straight back regardless of how low or high the SN is.

In the sequence portion for 1960 Pan SNs the 0 is normally oblong in shape regardless of how low or high the SN is.

Were there any exceptions? Maybe? An example I have at 4+++ has the usual round-back year 6 but its year 0 looks oblong-shaped when I would have expected it to be rounded. The other characters appear consistent with factory stamping and the SN boss looks unaltered. BNs match each other and begin with 160.

If anybody is aware of other 1960 Pan SNs that may be exceptions please let me know anytime.
Eric

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks for the photo. I can’t see anything wrong with the visible characters and they appear consistent with factory stamping. As I indicated above, when there is a round-back 6 in the year portion it is usually accompanied by a rounded 0 which is obviously what you have. And they look like they may have been done with a tandem stamp.

F, L and H are sans serif as expected. Notice the cross-bar of the H looks a bit higher than centre and that’s normal although sometimes you’ll see the H upside down.
The 6 in the sequence portion looks the usual straight-back type.
The 8 looks okay and I posted an example below for comparison.

Andy mentioned that Hs should be stamped near the rear mounts and I agree. Were you able to check them yet? If they are present, please examine them closely and make sure there is no sign that any characters were removed from that area prior to the Hs being applied. I'd expect the Hs to be sans serif.
Eric

1 - 6 of 6 Posts