Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a vertical oil tank from chassis design company for my 73 ironhead. There is a feed and a return on the tank and that's all. Is the a different way to run the vent line? Does it need to run back into the oil tank? Do I need to weld in a third Bung for the vent or can I just run it the atmosphere?

Thanks, Ben

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
The vent has to go to the tank. It is not a motor vent, but a tank vent, that allows the different pressures, at different motor speeds, to vent through the cam cover vent tube. So the answer is yes, or you will have to weld the cap in place, to keep it from exploding out of the tank.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks shovithead. Kind of feel stupid now that I think about that. So this tank has two bungs up high and one on the very bottom (might try to find a picture). I assumed the two up high were feed/return and the bottom was a drain. Maybe the top two are vent/return and the bottom is the feed? Could the cap be vented? They said it would work with my ironhead so I must be missing something. I can send them a message monday but want to weld it on tomorrow and would like to get this figured out first so If anyone has seen this or has an idea please let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
469 Posts
Should be fine, mine is set up that way (shovelhead), the bottom one feeds your motor the top two are vent and return. the one you plumb to atmosphere is the breather.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
If it were mine, I would add another bung, about a inch to a inch and a half from the bottom, for the feed. Removing the supply hose, every time you want to drain the oil, will eventually wear out the hole and the hose. I try to never feed a oil pump, from the bottom of a oil tank, to keep the trash that sinks to the bottom of the tank, from reentering the motor and oil pump.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Waking up this Van Winkle thread to ask a question, quite possibly a stupid one:

Does an oil tank have to be vented? If so, why?

Engine breather is vented to atmosphere, if that makes a difference. Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Joe, thanks. That conversation on the H-D Forum went a long way toward curing my confusion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts