Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, im gonna go for a little tech here. i had purchased a t bucket radiator cap for a gas tank cap, but the damn thing was just to tall. so i had plans to go back with my old cut s&s air cleaner but ive been wanting a vstack. so i was eyeballing the shop for an idea or part(been their havent ya) and i come across my radiator cap. okay so it looks good right off the bat, but theirs a delima the inlet hole is smaller than the one on the outside of the carb. i start to think its not a good idea to restrict the size down but quickly get over it. My motor is a hoped up 74", any bigger and it might not be a good idea. to be honest i wont know if its gonna work till it gets on the dyno, but it looks good i figure it will flow more than a air cleaner.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
this is a shoot where i cut of the threads of the cap with a hack saw. i figure this way i can still use the cap for gas cap. i cut just behind the tapper, but you will need to measure how far its gonna go into the carb first. to know where to cut it. im using the tapper to create a press fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i used some chain to create the keepers for stack using the s&s screws, that way ill just through the stock cover in the bag on a rode trip in case of rain. i do plan on wedging some mesh behind the stack. im goin to try and find some out of a late model injection set up, ive heard the mustang has a nice mesh thats easy to get to.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Velocity stacks are trick looking, but along with the increased air flow, you also get sand, dirt, little rocks, bugs, twigs, leaves, your pantleg, etc.

Even with those little snap-over velo "screens", you'll get crap in there. And, the little expanded metal reinforced filters for the velos are usually dirty enough by the end of one day to need cleaning. Besides, those little "filters" kind of defeat the velo's purpose, yes?

I'm thinking if your engine is "just hopped up", you might want to think the air filter over again. You'd be surprised how much a teardrop S&S air cleaner (or a Goodson for that matter) does actually flow vs the velocity stack.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
heres a shoot of the pipes i built for shits and giggles. and a another simple tech, SProcket socket, Easy buy a 1 7/8 three quarters socket and cut the socket just a 1/2 inch in and add a peice of 1 inch pipe about 4 or 5 inchs walla cheap specialty tool

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya rich i know what your sayin, they just look so damn good. the last one i built out of a old harley horn, it looked great but i never could get it tuned in. i have access to dyno so i thought i would give it another shoot. no harm and not a lot of work to try it, i was gonna end up cutin the radiator cap anyway.

Irish Rich said:
Velocity stacks are trick looking, but along with the increased air flow, you also get sand, dirt, little rocks, bugs, twigs, leaves, your pantleg, etc.

Even with those little snap-over velo "screens", you'll get crap in there. And, the little expanded metal reinforced filters for the velos are usually dirty enough by the end of one day to need cleaning. Besides, those little "filters" kind of defeat the velo's purpose, yes?

I'm thinking if your engine is "just hopped up", you might want to think the air filter over again. You'd be surprised how much a teardrop S&S air cleaner (or a Goodson for that matter) does actually flow vs the velocity stack.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i thought id do and update, way over due, but this stack didnt work out, worked fine till ya got over 35mph. then it stired the air up to much but damn it looks good sitin on the shelf on an old carb.

Irish Rich said:

·
Registered
100 Posts
bones35 said:
i thought id do and update, way over due, but this stack didnt work out, worked fine till ya got over 35mph. then it stired the air up to much but damn it looks good sitin on the shelf on an old carb.
Question...is this the same "Bones" who was a carpenter and built this ratted out old shovel w/ a girder on the front and some invaders....and then landed it on the cover of the Horse?.......I think the dude was from Ark also......that was the bike that got me to readin Horse again after the IH days......that fuckin bike ruled....and if it ain`t you,nevermind

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
take a look below, have we met

Slim said:
Question...is this the same "Bones" who was a carpenter and built this ratted out old shovel w/ a girder on the front and some invaders....and then landed it on the cover of the Horse?.......I think the dude was from Ark also......that was the bike that got me to readin Horse again after the IH days......that fuckin bike ruled....and if it ain`t you,nevermind

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Did you just polish the heads and powdercoat the cylinders on that motor? Looks good.

bones35 said:
heres a shoot of the pipes i built for shits and giggles. and a another simple tech, SProcket socket, Easy buy a 1 7/8 three quarters socket and cut the socket just a 1/2 inch in and add a peice of 1 inch pipe about 4 or 5 inchs walla cheap specialty tool

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tha Nutz said:
Did you just polish the heads and powdercoat the cylinders on that motor? Looks good.
Thats powder coat, chrome powder with clear over it. i wouldnt really suggest it looks great for a while but will wear, blow a head gasket and its stained for life, and it yellows slightly, but its almost three years old and still looks good just not show off good. ive never had any overheatin problem or anything so i dont think thats a factor. i still think thats one of the best lookin motors ive done, all black pushrod covers and a m5.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts