Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
welding a seat out is an geat way to get them out without maching,BUTyou betterknow what theyre made out of.. and how theyre constructed. cast or powderd, etc will come right out...beryilium and alloys will melt,explode, and do everything but come out and become a nightmare to machine. also beware of cast in seats..in a moment of stupidity i tried to weld out a set of panhead seats because there were no guides to center our seat cutter on.. 8 hrs later i wshed i was never born and found out the head is kind of cast around the seat...its twice as big as it looks encased in aluminum casting, i saved it but almost at a set of numbers matching early panheads. as for guides if its not an all out racer i would find a bronze automotiive guide and trim it down /hone/ream burnish it to fit..we do it all the time on old shit to save it...when all else fails a big block chevy guide is aalmost .750 o.d. and you can put a bronze liner in it to get the id right..

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.